YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Sloth Torpor or Jhana...? - Dhamma Wheel

Sloth Torpor or Jhana...?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Beautiful Breath

Sloth Torpor or Jhana...?

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:59 pm

When getting deeper into our practice how can we differentiate between our concentration becoming more focused and consequently a quieter mind and lapsing into a numbness that just feels good?

I sometimes practice Silent Illumination (Shikantaza Jp. Just Sitting) and often get a real sense of there being no sense of my body and a sort of expanded awareness of my immediate environment....feels 'nice' but I am often concerned that its a trap - depite seeming to fit in with 'progress' as described in that method...

Ta!

BB...

reflection

Re: Sloth Torpor or Jhana...?

Postby reflection » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:04 pm

In my experience, if it's going the right way you can in a way feel mindfulness get sharper and more single pointed. It's not like a zoning or dulling out, there is a center point of awareness where happiness arises. If you don't really know what you are aware of, it is a sign of dullness.

But do know that I have not heard of Silent Illumination and am explaining it in terms of my experience.

With metta,
Reflection

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 pm

"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

Beautiful Breath

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Ian thanks so much for taking the time to reply so comprehensively. I will indeed read the link. its a difficult time for me at the moment re my practice and has been for a while now. I've been verging on turning my back on what potentially could be something important.

_/|\_

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 am

"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 am

Lapsing into numbness is either a lapse of mindfulness, else you can still be aware of "numbed out mind" (though this counts as a hindrance, probably, whereupon one gets back to work). Additionally, part of satipatthana is knowing when a pleasant feeling is worldly or unworldly - only one of those is a sensual cord, so this is an occasion for practice, not for worry.

Beautiful Breath

Postby Beautiful Breath » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:46 pm

...imagine being in a busy rush hour, with lots of smog and cars beeoing their horns...pouring with rain....etc...etc...

Then suddenly you find yourself in a meadow on a warm day feeling nothing but the breeze and hearing nothing but the birds in the distance...eys closed and feeling no sense of physicality....

...its a bit like that. Not sure whats further down the road either if I were to stay or deepen that experience.

Thanks,

BB...

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”