Meditation routine

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Bunks

Meditation routine

Post by Bunks »

Hi everyone - this is my first post on here so please be gentle with me :tongue:

I'm embarking on a meditation routine that gives me about 30 minutes to meditate each morning. I am currently following an audio breath meditation that promotes mindfullness that I'm enjoying.

However, I'd like to incorporate some other meditations types into my routine (loving kindness, joy, gratitude) but wondered if anyone could give some advice on the frequency of each? For example, should I make the breathing meditation the base of my routine? Maybe do that for 3 days running then throw in one of the other types on the 4th day for a change?

I know each person will develop there own routine but I would appreciate if anyone can give me a sample of what they do to give me somewhere to start? I feel a little overwhelmed!

Thanks in advance :)
Stop thinking and start living!
Reductor

Re: Meditation routine

Post by Reductor »

There's many ways to organize a meditation routine. One I know that is used by Goenka students is to meditate for an hour (or half for you) and then have ten minutes of Metta at the end.

Personally, I would begin with breath meditation each day, switching to Metta or Asubha if my mind seemed a little too uneasy to focus on the breath (or sometimes I just hankered for a change of pace :tongue: ).

So try the Goenka routine for a while, or some other routine, and see how it goes. If, after a few weeks, it seems inappropriate for you, tweek or change it. The right routine is that one that seems most fitting for you.

:heart:
Bunks

Post by Bunks »

Reductor wrote:There's many ways to organize a meditation routine. One I know that is used by Goenka students is to meditate for an hour (or half for you) and then have ten minutes of Metta at the end.

Personally, I would begin with breath meditation each day, switching to Metta or Asubha if my mind seemed a little too uneasy to focus on the breath (or sometimes I just hankered for a change of pace :tongue: ).

So try the Goenka routine for a while, or some other routine, and see how it goes. If, after a few weeks, it seems inappropriate for you, tweek or change it. The right routine is that one that seems most fitting for you.

:heart:
Thanks a lot Reductor...appreciate your feedback!
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

I think samatha for beginners is fine, if you want you can start with 5 minutes of metta, I guess.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Bunks wrote: However, I'd like to incorporate some other meditations types into my routine (loving kindness, joy, gratitude) but wondered if anyone could give some advice on the frequency of each? For example, should I make the breathing meditation the base of my routine?
I always begin my meditation with a short period of metta, but there are different approaches - maybe you could do different meditations on different days? But if you've managed to establish a daily routine, that's a very good start. Have you been in touch with any local Buddhist groups?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Bunks

Post by Bunks »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Bunks wrote: However, I'd like to incorporate some other meditations types into my routine (loving kindness, joy, gratitude) but wondered if anyone could give some advice on the frequency of each? For example, should I make the breathing meditation the base of my routine?
I always begin my meditation with a short period of metta, but there are different approaches - maybe you could do different meditations on different days? But if you've managed to establish a daily routine, that's a very good start. Have you been in touch with any local Buddhist groups?
There are a couple of groups that I intend to sit with however I have a young family and they are a long way from my house so I'll only be able to attend once in a while.

I have a fantasy of starting my own group in my large, unused shed in my backyard one day! Will be a few years before I do it though. Once kids are a little older and I get a few more years meditation under my belt...... :thumbsup:
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

Reductor wrote: Personally, I would begin with breath meditation each day, switching to Metta or Asubha if my mind seemed a little too uneasy to focus on the breath (or sometimes I just hankered for a change of pace :tongue: ).
If my mind is uneasy I pay attention to the uneasiness, then back to the breath, then back to the uneasiness, ... and so on. I don't really pursue Metta or Abusha at all... although I'll (of course!) attend to them if they happen to come up during the uneasiness. If I try forcing another technique then I get thoughts like, "do I really have to do the body scan?", and feelings of frustration and boredom. So I don't force it :)

Can meditating on the breath take you all the way? Of course other things will crop up automatically (thoughts, feelings, aches, spaciousness...) and attention will move to them.

Are watching the breath & paying attention to all experiences the only things you *need* to force yourself to do on the "meditation" part of the path? (Assuming you really like breath meditation and don't like other techniques...)

- Anapanasati
- Mal
- Mal