Dr. Snyder is an arhat?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
barcsimalsi

Re: Dr. Snyder is an arhat?

Post by barcsimalsi »

Dr. David N. Snyder giving a Dhamma talk at a center he opened in Denver, 1997.
So you don't give talk anymore?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Interesting that your Mum slept through the labour process, did she seriously experience no pain whatsoever? I don't know if it's something I'd mention in my 'About the author' section if it had happened during my birth - All these examples you have mentioned, and the OP in this thread itself would more than enough drama and trouble for my liking.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

barcsimalsi wrote:don't give talk anymore?
Not much; just mostly host monks and nuns leading programs.

Thanks guys for the kind words and for those who made negative comments too, always something there to test the equanimity. I learned a long time ago that no matter what you do, you will face some criticism in life, no big deal. My father always said "consider the source" and so I do. Here are some other good quotes related to criticism:

"I entered the meditation hall and bowed; later one person praised the simplicity and beauty of the bow I made; another complained viciously how dare I participate in such a 'backward religious act'."
--Sharon Salzberg

To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Aristotle

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
― Winston Churchill

Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.”
― Andy Warhol
David Chapman wrote:When I was about 25, I had published some scientific papers, and was getting to be known in an international academic community. I was full of piss and vinegar; testosterone, rebellion, and altogether too much cleverness. I wanted to tear down an intellectual establishment that seemed corrupt, hidebound, and befogged by holy dogmas and hidden assumptions. I was quite rude, in print, to researchers whose ideas I thought were WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Then I started going to conferences, and I met many of the scientists who I previously knew only from their academic publications. Most of them were nothing like what I had imagined based on their work. Their personalities did not seem to match up with their writings.
I remember in particular meeting one researcher whose papers I had savaged. He was kind and friendly. It turned out that we had a shared love of birds, and we had an enjoyable discussion of corvids [ravens and their allies]. I felt quite ashamed, but also grateful for having learned something.
https://meaningness.wordpress.com/2012/ ... buddhists/
As the above quote shows from the linked article, scholars and authors write or display their credentials to show their worthiness for writing and to be taken at least somewhat seriously, but when you get to know them people find they are nice and down to earth.
BlackBird wrote: All these examples you have mentioned, and the OP in this thread itself would more than enough drama and trouble for my liking.
I agree, there are much more important things to discuss and continuing this would be like engaging in gossip, clearly not wholesome and end up being a tail-chaser, so we will close this for now.