Dr. Snyder is an arhat?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Raksha

Dr. Snyder is an arhat?

Post by Raksha »

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... _N._Snyder
'His mother literally slept through the labor process as there was no pain to her. The Buddha was born in a similar way and the Suttas report that all samma-sam-buddhas are born with no pain to the mother...Tibetan lamas have often looked for people with such birth events for locating the rebirth of famous Rinpoches.The birth-event may simply shed some light on his future role...''
I know the article on Dr.Snyder's website adds 'Dr. Snyder makes no claim to being fully enlightened or to being any famous guru, reborn.',..but didn't you actually write this article about yourself, Dr. Snyder? Please would you clear this up and let us know if you are really a tulku or an arhat.
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Dr. Snyder is an arhat?

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Dr. Snyder makes no claim to being fully enlightened or to being any famous guru, reborn. The birth-event may simply shed some light on his future role and possible kammic fate as a Dhamma teacher in this life.
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... _N._Snyder
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Raksha

Post by Raksha »

Being a hidden 'famous guru, reborn' is not the same as claiming to be such. The phrase 'future role and possible kammic fate' means he has the option in this life to be an important Dhamma teacher, which of course only applies to those who are 'a famous guru, reborn.' Perhaps, its secret and I shouldn't ask about such things on an open forum?
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Perhaps you should contact Dr. Snyder via PM.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Raksha wrote:http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... _N._Snyder
'Dr. Snyder makes no claim to being fully enlightened or to being any famous guru, reborn.'
This comes up every now and then and some get quite upset about it. It has come up here and in other forums and one guy even wrote a whole blog attacking me about it coincidentally (haha) within hours after being banned at the Mahayana Dharma Wheel forum which is affiliated with this forum. I had no contact with him in any of the interactions and he was banned for violating the terms of service on issues not dealing with me whatsoever. He even called me (after being banned) a "cult leader". :lol: I have gotten used to it. Maybe it is good you brought it up so I can answer this again for some who are so concerned about it.

It is quite common for authors to list their educational credentials, accomplishments, etc. to justify if you will their 'ability' to write the book. All authors do this. If they refuse, the publishers usually insist upon it. Some can call it conceit, bragging, etc. but never the less it is seen as necessary to show that the author has some credentials to write a book. The words in the quote above say it all "no claim to being fully enlightened or to being any famous guru, reborn" yet there is still some who get upset with the statements. I have left it there out of respect for my parents who were not Buddhists, yet quite amazed and proud of the birth event and mentioned it to all their friends and relatives. If some trolls, banned members still have difficulty with the claims, that is something they will have to examine for themselves and see the source of the aversion and deal with their mind-states. During an introductory thread here, other members noted that they also had similar birth, with little to no pain from their mother. It is also common among some traditional cultures where the birth is attempted to be performed with little pain. So it is not quite as unique as some might think and therefore, perhaps not such a big deal.

See: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3

Another person complained that the article is written in the third person. It is a wiki, encyclopedia article. All encyclopedia articles are written in the third-person. Are there even any encyclopedia articles not written in the third-person? I have not seen one.

Another person said I was claiming or implicitly claiming to be Maitreya (Metteyya). Ridiculous, of course since according to Buddhism, Metteyya currently resides in the Tusita heaven waiting for when the Dhamma dies out in some distant future time. The last time I checked, Las Vegas is not in the Tusita heaven :lol: nor has the Dhamma died out yet. Also, there can be no claim of being an arahant or fully enlightened since according to the bio itself there are the words in the quote above about not making that claim and an arahant cannot deliberately lie.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I find this line a little odd "The birth-event may simply shed some light on his future role and possible kammic fate as a Dhamma teacher in this life.". I imagined it was meant as a light hearted jape, which didn't quite work. :) :) :)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

That was just mentioned to to further ally with the fact that I am not claiming enlightenment. As mentioned in my post above, it is very common for authors to list their educational credentials, accomplishments, etc. to justify if you will their 'ability' to write the book. Virtually all authors have an 'About the author' page which lists their educational credentials, accomplishments, etc., including monks and nuns.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

David N. Snyder wrote:[(...) He even called me (after being banned) a "cult leader"(...)
Lord Snyder, what shall we, your disciples, do next? Flood their houses with metta? Kill the anger in them? Steal their ignorance?

MUAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:rofl:

Thanks for the laugh! I can't even count the number of times members here have challenged me and debated with me and I have not removed any post from them for disagreeing with their "cult leader". :lol:
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Painless births happen, though they're rare, and they probably mean more about the mother than the child. Hearing anyone blab about the miraculousness of their birth can be fairly nauseating, but at least David makes up for it.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Viscid wrote: and they probably mean more about the mother than the child.
Yes, she is truly a gem, thanks. She is very positive, optimistic. Her saying is, "everything works out for the best".
Viscid wrote: but at least David makes up for it.
Thanks! I think . . . :thinking:

:jumping:
Ben

Post by Ben »

David,
Let me take this opportunity to express my gratitude for Dhamma Wheel and all the work you do maintaining the site.
Much merit to you, my friend.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Dr. S.,

Seconded! You are a great inspiration and your efforts to make the Dhamma accessible are beyond compare. :anjali:

KB
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thirded. :anjali:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Fourthed. David is alright. :twothumbsup:
Dr. Snyder makes no claim to being fully enlightened or to being any famous guru, reborn. The birth-event may simply shed some light on his future role and possible kammic fate as a Dhamma teacher in this life.
I actually thought the inclusion of that statement was an expression of a wry sense of humour. Still do, really.