Advice in regards to meditation & books.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Mission235

Advice in regards to meditation & books.

Post by Mission235 »

I'm very new to Buddhism but so much of what I read about it just resonates so much to me & I see no error in it at all. I'm in the beginning stages of my journey & I wanted to know what would be a great book for somebody this new to Buddhism to read? Also I haven't meditated in a little while & I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how to slowly improve & increase how much I meditate...I'm very open to all techniques! Thanks in advance to anyone who gives their time by responding!
Ben

Re: Advice in regards to meditation & books.

Post by Ben »

Greetings,

There should be no shortage of recommended reading in the "Introductory Resources" thread in the Discovering Theravada forum.
Have a look through that thread and see what piques your interest.
A modern classic on Theravada and meditation is Mahathera Nyanaponika's "Heart of Buddhist Meditation".
As far as meditation: it might be worthwhile investigating local groups in your area: http://www.buddhanet.net
Personally, I recommend that you also investigate residential meditation retreats if you have the time and means. Many of them are designed to get one established in the foundations of practice and give you an opportunity to develop some depth of practice. My own tradition offers ten-day courses on a purely volitional donation basis.
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

:twothumbsup: Ben hit the nail on the head. Only thing I will say to you about beginning meditation is...do it when you do feel like it and do it when you don't feel like it. Make sure you stick to somewhat of a routine (15 min. morning and 15 min. night for example) because i've found more often than not that I needed it more when I didn't want to in the beginning.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Mission235 wrote:I'm very new to Buddhism but so much of what I read about it just resonates so much to me & I see no error in it at all. I'm in the beginning stages of my journey & I wanted to know what would be a great book for somebody this new to Buddhism to read? Also I haven't meditated in a little while & I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how to slowly improve & increase how much I meditate...I'm very open to all techniques! Thanks in advance to anyone who gives their time by responding!
Hi Mission235,

This is a booklet of meditation tools and techniques by Ajahn Amaro which you might find helpful. Its called "Finding the Missing Peace"

https://www.abhayagiri.org/books/findin ... sing-peace

With kind wishes,

Aloka