your home altar/shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
daverupa

Re: your home altar/shrine

Post by daverupa »

Hickersonia's altar is top shelf - you can see trash bins out the window, it's perfect.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
contemplating

Post by contemplating »

I don't have a shrine room, altar or shrine - am I missing out on anything?
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

It is my understanding that the decision to have a shrine room/altar is very much a matter of personal preference. The Buddha statue itself won't do much but serve as a visual representation of your practice. It can be a wonderful reminder of the Dhamma, or just (as many people now have) a decoration in a living room. Your mind will determine what you make of your shrine/altar.

As for myself, mine is basically the only thing in my bedroom besides the rug on the floor, so it is nearly impossible to miss. Everything else, including my bed, stays in the closet. I understand that my example is a bit extreme, but it helps me in my practice and thats what matters!

If you think it is something that you would benefit from, then I certainly recommend it. It doesn't have to be a costly endeavor either.

:anjali:

Benjamin
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

My home shrine. Did some gilding (pit-thong) myself on the First Sermon rupa.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Sylvester wrote:My home shrine. Did some gilding (pit-thong) myself on the First Sermon rupa.
Excellent! Beautiful! Nice job on that one!

Sarnath -- the first turning of the Dhamma Wheel!
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Nice shrine.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

Got a new Buddha statue for my little shrine and wanted to show it to all of you. I believe that the pose of this Buddha statue is a Blessing pose. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me. :anjali:
Attachments
BuddhaRoom2.JPG
BuddhaRoom2.JPG (37.58 KiB) Viewed 10221 times
BuddhaRoom1.JPG
BuddhaRoom1.JPG (39.94 KiB) Viewed 10221 times
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

VictoryInTruth wrote:Got a new Buddha statue for my little shrine and wanted to show it to all of you. I believe that the pose of this Buddha statue is a Blessing pose. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me. :anjali:
Beautiful! I like the sort of antique look. The gesture also looks like the "teaching pose" or mudra, but not sure which one it is specifically. Either way, it looks good.
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

VictoryInTruth wrote:Got a new Buddha statue for my little shrine and wanted to show it to all of you. I believe that the pose of this Buddha statue is a Blessing pose. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me. :anjali:
Simplicity = beauty. Very nice, friend. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Beautiful! I like the sort of antique look. The gesture also looks like the "teaching pose" or mudra, but not sure which one it is specifically. Either way, it looks good.
Thanks. :anjali: I too like the antique look.... It took me awhile to find a statue that had just the right amount of peace and serenity in its face. This statue is my favorite of all the Buddha statues I have purchased in the past.
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

Hickersonia wrote:
Simplicity = beauty. Very nice, friend. :)
Thanks as well. :anjali: I don't like my meditation shrine to be overwhelmed with a lot of statues or decoration... Its a distraction.
ommunimuni

Post by ommunimuni »

I have been so inspired by all of your photos that I thought I would upload my own.
All ready for Vesak Day here in Malaysia tomorrow.

With Metta,

ommunimuni

Post by ommunimuni »

The serenity in the Buddha's expression is truly beautiful!
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing