chafing problem

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
purple planet

chafing problem

Post by purple planet »

anyone got jock itch ?

i got it - i take a shower each day and if im sweaty than after the activity and i still got it - i started a diet but it will take 2-3 months until it will make a difference and in the meantime its hard to do walking meditation

it must be very common to have this problem i would believe especially in thailand where its moist

so any ideas on how to prevent this ?
Last edited by purple planet on Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: chafing problem

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Wear loosely fitting underwear — if in Thailand you can probably wear a Sarong.

Use talcum powder. There is probably an antiseptic brand suitable for this problem.

Wikipedia article
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed May 22, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Re: jock itch

Post by Ben »

See your pharmacist or doctor, they are probably best placed to provide you with a remedy.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

i dont have it now actually because i only do short walking meditation of 30 minutes instead of 55 like i want to and do it just once or twice a day the only thing that stops me is the feeling of a jock itch coming up so thats why i would like to hear all the tips anyone here can think of
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Jock itch is a fungus and oesn't just come and go, though like other fungal infections, it can be fairly dormant and then bloom suddenly. Fungi love dark warm moist environments, like your jocular region after a workout. The best way to keep it from blooming is by completely getting rid of it. And doctors can prescribe better anti-fungal medicine than you can get over the counter. So I second the doctor route - even if you aren't currently experiencing symptoms.
kmath

Post by kmath »

I had the same problem for a while. Other than showering and changing underwear when sweaty, hydrocortisone has done wonders for me. Give it a try!
marc108

Post by marc108 »

the key is to keep your bits dry. use a hair dryer and dry your bits up really good immediately after you get out of the shower. wear loose fitting underwear as well.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Are you sure it's jock itch and not chafing? If it only comes up when walking could be the latter.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

ohhh - yes its chafing - no doubt its chafing ! thanks for pointing this out

anyone has some other solutions to chafing ? - (talcum powder didnt work)
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Yes, there is a simple solution. Please don't think I'm being sarcastic when I tell you of this. When I worked as a groundskeeper in high school, I noticed one of the supervisors, when his shirt rose over his waistband, wore a unusual garment. I asked "Curly, why are you wearing panty hose?" He said, "Prevents chafing." I've been told this many times over the years, even by my doctor.

BB
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

:lol: good to hear im not sure i will try it but maybe as a last solution any other solutions someone ?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

purple planet wrote:ohhh - yes its chafing - no doubt its chafing ! thanks for pointing this out

anyone has some other solutions to chafing ? - (talcum powder didnt work)

Hi pp,

I agree with Ben, you need to speak to a pharmacist or doctor.

I think Its possible your itchy crotch could be caused by anything from chafing, to a fungal infection, to crabs.

Its best to get a professional opinion.

kind regards

Aloka
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

but its not itching when i dont do walking meditation and i did gain weight lately
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

purple planet wrote:but its not itching when i dont do walking meditation and i did gain weight lately

Dunno, I'm a woman so I don't have a "jock" !

:)
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Women can also become afflicted by the tinea cruris,the fungus responsible for jock itch. But with women it probably has a more genteel name, like pudendal pruritis. Isn't Samsara grand? :jumping:

BB