Don't like to meditate

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
manas

Re: Don't like to meditate

Post by manas »

Digity wrote:
binocular wrote:
Digity wrote:I'm very restless to begin with. I absolutely hate my general agitated feeling I have, but I'm someone whose had his share of anxiety problems in his life. I sometimes don't feel cut out for meditation...and there I go with excuses again!
Maybe they're not excuses.
Since I posted this way back in September I've become a regular meditator. I got over my desire to avoid meditation by just doing it. If anything, now I don't feel happy if I miss a sitting.
Well done Digity!

Keep at it man.

metta
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

great advice in this thread!
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Helyron

Post by Helyron »

Try different meditation types (attentiveness ...), different times, different clothes, different poses and if it you still do not like it, let it be. But there are so many different kinds of meditation that I could not believe that. For example walking meditation. ;)
Start free-thinking, start living.
kmath

Post by kmath »

mikenz66 wrote:
Dan74 wrote:Some people are way too restless most of the time to settle on a cushion, I think. Sometimes going for a jog first may help, or settling down with a hot cuppa. For others walking meditation feels more natural.
I agree, I always try to start with walking, unless it's just not practical (lack of room, sitting with a group that doesn't like walking :tongue:, ...). In my experience it's much easier to build up some initial mindfulness and concentration walking than sitting.

Mike
Trying walking meditation is a great idea. Even the forest masters spent hours everyday on their walking path. And speaking personally, I have gone long periods of time where walking was my main practice. Whatever works!

But in my humble opinion, try not to force yourself too much. Eventually you may burn out and give up your practice completely. Be gentle!

Remember, it's eightfold path, so meditation is only one part.

2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hihi:

My advice, do not meditate! haha, take some time off.
Meditation its supposed to be a fun thing, what u are doing is having dislike (craving) to something, and u are pushing it trying to change that aversion into something else. And that will cause a lot of tightness until u finally say ok cant take it anymore and u will change your pattern.
If u take some time off u will begin to see how that pushing was causing tightness, and thats the actual meditation!, seeing how u went from a unwholesome state into a wholesome, and that will provide u with interest into how mind works and meditation in general.

Take care.
JSearch

Post by JSearch »

Sorry I've been meaning to post for a while but have been busy as well as a little ill.
2600htz wrote:Hihi:

Meditation its supposed to be a fun thing, what u are doing is having dislike (craving) to something, and u are pushing it trying to change that aversion into something else. And that will cause a lot of tightness until u finally say ok cant take it anymore and u will change your pattern.
If u take some time off u will begin to see how that pushing was causing tightness, and thats the actual meditation!, seeing how u went from a unwholesome state into a wholesome, and that will provide u with interest into how mind works and meditation in general.

Take care.
Thanks for this, I was actually given this advice before by a Buddhist several years ago, my only trouble then is I end up forget everything about meditation, mental relaxation etc. and falling asleep every time.

Whats worse when I just try to relax thoughts fly in about meditation itself, or "trying to meditate", it's like a catch 22.

I distinctly remember after the original experience telling myself that I needed to find a place of mental rest and peace everyday, but I did not call it meditation. Ever since I've read some literature and "meditation" it's as if I've armed my mind against me, it's just like when I was a teenager trying to meditate but worse.

So the trouble now is I can't even try to find a place of mental rest and peace as meditation thoughts come flying in!
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

JSearch wrote:Sorry I've been meaning to post for a while but have been busy as well as a little ill.
2600htz wrote:Hihi:

Take care.
Thanks for this, I was actually given this advice before by a Buddhist several years ago, my only trouble then is I end up forget everything about meditation, mental relaxation etc. and falling asleep every time.

Whats worse when I just try to relax thoughts fly in about meditation itself, or "trying to meditate", it's like a catch 22.

I distinctly remember after the original experience telling myself that I needed to find a place of mental rest and peace everyday, but I did not call it meditation. Ever since I've read some literature and "meditation" it's as if I've armed my mind against me, it's just like when I was a teenager trying to meditate but worse.

So the trouble now is I can't even try to find a place of mental rest and peace as meditation thoughts come flying in!
Awareness of your relative state and its thoughts is considered progress. Do not attempt thoughtlessness. Meditation is not about chasing thoughts out of your mind, but letting it naturally settle. Similarily to the way water settles and the contaminates separate themselves from the water's, revealing its natural clarity. Thought engagement, be it via aversion or preference, only stirs the pot. "Note" your thoughts as they freely come and go and return your attention to the breath. When you first practice it will seem like a tidal wave of thoughts, which is your mind, let it be and go with its flow.

Do not forget that ultimately the goal is nothing / emptiness.