Met Sujin Boriharnwanaket in Thailand

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mr Man

Re: Met Sujin Boriharnwanaket in Thailand

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:
robertk wrote:There is a difference between vipassana and samatha
AS I said on the thread
Thus for one who is intent on samatha , who lives a secluded life then the term formal practice may fit. But I still maintain that for the development of vipassana one is ready to face any object anytime and that preferencing certain postures or activities is actually counterproductive.
Having a differing approach to, differing view of, things is not the problem, but what is the problem here, as your words clearly show, you have demeaned and dismissed the formal practice traditions that do not fit your view of things.
I guess it is not that unusual for those with differing views to disparage other approaches. I think it goes a bit with the territory. Once upon a time these criticisms would have stayed within a community where possibly they would be relevant but now with the internet......

I remember being rather taken a back when I first came across some of Ven Sujato's clips on you tube in which he seemed to be less than positive about Ajahn Sumedho.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
AS I said on the thread
Thus for one who is intent on samatha , who lives a secluded life then the term formal practice may fit. But I still maintain that for the development of vipassana one is ready to face any object anytime and that preferencing certain postures or activities is actually counterproductive.
Having a differing approach to, differing view of, things is not the problem, but what is the problem here, as your words clearly show, you have demeaned and dismissed the formal practice traditions that do not fit your view of things.
I guess it is not that unusual for those with differing views to disparage other approaches. I think it goes a bit with the territory. Once upon a time these criticisms would have stayed within a community where possibly they would be relevant but now with the internet......

I remember being rather taken a back when I first came across some of Ven Sujato's clips on you tube in which he seemed to be less than positive about Ajahn Sumedho.
I shrug my shoulders. The Sujin criticism seem to be built into the structure of her teachings, at least as her teachings are being portrayed here. That aside, while I do not find the methodology of Sujin path of practice convincing in face of suttas and the traditional understanding as outlined in the Visuddhimagga, from what I have seen of the Sujin method of practice, the criticisms of the other traditions in a we-have-it-right-you-don't style, seems quite unnecessary and divisive. It is too bad.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

tiltbillings wrote:
AS I said on the thread
Precisely. If the Buddha's warning (that one of the main reasons for the decline of the teachings would be the lack of respect for meditation) is true, these people are doing a terrible disservice to the dhamma.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
robertk

Post by robertk »

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dha ... ges/136999
S: I heard the following on a recording (Bkk Oct 2007) and I think it's relevant and helpful:
A: I think more about visual object and sound.

AS: In what aspect?

A: When I open my eyes and I have brief thoughts - "oops, shape, form and people again. I'm seeing shapes….more people and no awareness of visual object."

AS: That's the way it is, but no awareness of that which is seen. Not the true nature of that which is seen.
Instead of the usual thinking about people and things, after having heard a lot about visible object, this can be the condition for developing the understanding - not 'I' who develops, but it's the understanding right now that what is seen now is so real. It's just a reality, an element, which can be seen. There is no one in the world or any moment it arises. There are only different realities. No one here - only different realities and we begin to understand different realities such as visible object is not seeing and sound is not hearing and thinking is not 'I', not seeing or hearing. Different elements all day from birth to death.

A: Interestingly, I don't even think about them when eating.

Suk: Attachment

A: Different accumulations for different objects. I think about visual object and sound, but I don't think about nutrition and taste.

AS: So one can see that realities all arise and fall away in split seconds and when there is no understanding of one then there must be stories and things all around, all the time until panna (right understanding) understands a reality and then another reality and any reality as fast, because we usually talk about detachment. It cannot arise at will. One has to know that without understanding it's impossible to be detached. For example, when there is the idea or intention or whatever it is or a moment of awareness of a reality, it falls away, but since it's not directly experienced like that, there is sometimes or always thinking or concern about that with some idea without understanding that it's another reality arising in succession.

We get stuck on one object like "I know that" or "it just happened" or "it has just fallen away" - long moments, many moments for that experience, instead of becoming detached and being able to be aware of other realities instantly and to know whether there is attachment or not. If one knows for oneself whether there is attachment to that object which sati is aware of and panna understands, but still there is attachment until nothing but different realities arising and falling away in succession. Otherwise there's no way to become detached and then be aware of other realities instantly.

So there are many things to know, whether there is still attachment or less attachment - depending on panna only. That's why no need to think about anything else, just understand at the moment of hearing, consdering about reality which appears then, like visible object right now.

The development is that which begins to understand whatever is seen is just a reality before there can be detachment from it.

Suk: It seems that instead of understanding what arises, because of attachment to self, we're asking about this and that - "what might be", "what was" - not enough panna.

AS: By understanding this, panna develops until it knows what's the truth and what's the way.

R: So awareness becomes more frequent as understanding grows.

AS: By conditions. No expectation. Otherwise lobha (attachment) comes again instantly. So panna has to understand lobha as it is, so lobha will have less conditions to arise.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android