Serious back pain when sitting

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Sadge

Serious back pain when sitting

Post by Sadge »

I find it so uncomfortable to sit in half lotus or just crossed legged, I want too, but it hurts and I find it difficult to get a full breath. I just sit in a chair or lean against something normally so it's fine, but I wonder if I'm sitting wrong!? Sit up straight it's so much effort and I can't breathe well, slouch and I can breathe better but still hurts. Any ideas?
Virgo

Re: Serious back pain when sitting

Post by Virgo »

Yeah, this: :)

Note: in the next video in the playlist, the bhikkhu goes on to show more exercises for breathing.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

This is the next one (concerning postures to help breath):

And this is a video on posture:

Kevin
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Thanks, I'm starting yoga classes next month, maybe that will help.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Many people believe the next Buddha will come to enlightenment while sitting in a chair.

My understanding is that cross legged postures are for stability - some say so you don't fall over if you fall asleep in meditation.

I try to sit in a way that that is comfortable (for me this means not on the floor - I'm shaped like the Laughing Buddha) and meditate in a way that doesn't promote drowsiness - Ardent, Alert, and Mindful.
Dennenappelmoes

Post by Dennenappelmoes »

Thank you Kevin for those videos. I have some back troubles as well so they will definitely benefit me as well :anjali: I am currently also working on sitting cross legged while still having a straight spine (can't do that yet).

Sadge, have you tried a meditation bench? Or a cusion? You don't have to sit cross legged that way.
There's no technical reason why a chair would not be a good idea, although it may depend on your mind's associations with chairs. If your mind goes instinctively into relaxation mode, it may be a difficult 'environment' to meditate in (not 'bad', just a higher difficulty level). And, as I have been taught, whenever it is physically possible for you to do so, support your own spine. Do not lean back. This helps your alertness etc, which is also touched on in those videos.
Either way, good luck finding a comfortable posture :smile:
marc108

Post by marc108 »

lotus posture is entirely a cultural thing, and it makes no difference if you sit lotus or in a chair as long as your spine is straight and your breathing is unimpeded. just find a comfortable position, with unimpeded breathing & a relatively straights pine, & don't bother putting the effort into training your body into lotus. :shrug:
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Dennenappelmoes

Post by Dennenappelmoes »

marc108 wrote: don't bother putting the effort into training your body into lotus. :shrug:
In my case it's just because I plan to ordain and so it'll be useful to be able to sit without any aids :P Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered :thumbsup: