Books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
badscooter

Re: Books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

Post by badscooter »

thank you Bhante... Everything works now :)
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My server is currently down again. I am uploading it again to my mirror site:

Aimwell Site Mirror.

Please bookmark this address in case of problems. Content such as PDF files may not be available, but at least the HTML site should be accessible.

Edited to remove links to obsolete mirror sites.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think some of the server down problems were caused by robots crawling the linked site: A Dictionary of Pali Proper names, which is used as a reference source for many of the books.

I added a robots.txt file to keep the robots off that site, and reduce their activity on the main site — that should reduce the load on the server, which is a free hosting service.

I am currently working on the Sayādaw's "Discourse on the Anattalakkhaṇa Sutta[/url]. I have edited bout 60 pages, and have about 100 more to do, so it might be some time yet before I finish it.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have just uploaded an initial draft of A Discourse on the Anattalakkhana Sutta.

Most of it is not online yet — please download the PDF to read the entire book.

Updated with a slightly better version produced in PagePlus X7.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Bhante!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Thank you Bhante!
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Yes thanks a lot
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have just uploaded an initial draft of A Discourse on the Sīlavanta Sutta.

Again, most of it is not online yet — please download the PDF to read the entire book.

I hope to complete the online versions of these last too later, but I will wait until I have had more time to check them thoroughly first. Updating a PDF is easy, but updating the HTML version takes longer.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Bhante for all your hard work.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A Discourse on the Sīlavanta Sutta is online now, and ready to use for reference with anchors to all subheadings.

I am adopting the anchor format: #The_Sixth_Power_of_an_Arahant as a future standard, so if anyone sees the heading:

The Sixth Power of an Arahant they can guess what the anchor should be. My software doesn't allow apostrophes, spaces, or Latin Extended characters in anchors — perhaps that's a limitation of HTML. So, the heading:

A Brief Résumé uses an anchor #A_Brief_Resume etc.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The A Discourse on the Anattalakkhana Sutta is now online and the PDF has been updated.

I have since discovered that NetObjects Fusion does allow spaces in anchors, as long as they are pasted and not typed (apostrophes and Latin Extended Characters are not permitted). This makes it easier to copy/paste the anchor for each heading, e.g. by adding #Date of the Discourse to the page URL.

Date of the Discourse

Later, I will update the Silavanta Sutta and others, but for now, only the Anattalakkhana Sutta has anchors with space characters.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Obviously a lot of hard work has gone into this undertaking Bhante, so thank you for all your hard work, hopefully many people will see this and read your translations :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A PDF of The Progress of Insight was added.

A Discourse on Dependent Origination was updated.

Some minor improvements, an appendix added that was missing before, the index was updated, and the cover now matches the other books by the Sayādaw.

This Mirror of my site using WebPlus is nearly complete now. Bookmark that link in case www.aimwell.org goes down. The PDF files and other content are also available from the mirror site.

Edited to update links.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Wow this is great material, I was just looking for more Mahasi books too, :namaste: :thanks:
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Today is the 31st death anniversary of the Mahāsi Sayādaw.

Since the beginning of August, many of his publications have been updated in the process of transferring my web site to Serif WebPlus.

The PDF Versions can all be downloaded from the same page on my new mirror site. The books that have an HTML page have all been updated in recent weeks.

It's amazing how many typos one finds on reading them through again — I am obviously not mindful enough yet. :shrug: