Buddhism & overcoming traumatic experiences?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Strive4Karuna

Buddhism & overcoming traumatic experiences?

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to overcome? Especially experiences from childhood? Abuse, severe neglect, being an orphan etc.
retrofuturist

Re: Buddhism & overcoming traumatic experiences?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Strive4Karuna wrote:Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to overcome? Especially experiences from childhood? Abuse, severe neglect, being an orphan etc.
Cultivation of the brahma-viharas.

:group:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Also contemplate on the anicca(impermanent) nature of all conditioned phenomena. Dukkha is no exception... :smile:
robertk

Post by robertk »

elements arise and cease completely instantly. understand that -even to a small degree-and the past will seem like an empty dream..
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Be kind to yourself. I sometimes find that because Buddhism teaches "the way out of suffering" I fall into my old ex-Christian habits of feeling that if I am suffering I am sinning - i.e. it is morally wrong of me to feel suffering/pain/sadness/etc. This totally misses the point, so when you look at Buddhism to help you heal and teach you to cope with suffering, don't inadvertently inflict more suffering on yourself. Of course you may not do that anyway, but it is one of my early pitfalls.

:hug:
binocular

Post by binocular »

Strive4Karuna wrote:Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to overcome? Especially experiences from childhood? Abuse, severe neglect, being an orphan etc.
I've known several people who have used Buddhist teachings for the purpose of sweeping their problems under the rug ...

IOW, there is the danger of applying the teachings wrongly, but nevertheless having the conviction one is advancing in the practice and getting better.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

It's an interesting question. Psychologists studied the monks who came from Tibet and were emprisoned and tortured, and they concluded that they had no PTSD sympthoms. The only explanation is that they practice meditation.

Bhante Yuttadhammo, iirc, told the story of a woman who was abused when she was a child and went to therapists for years and never got over the traumatic event. She was very miserable. He said that she learned to meditate (properly) and she got to a much more peaceful state of mind.

On the other hand, I've read that a person who was abused during childhood, went on a retreat and got out of there earlier and s/he said that it was like living it all over again and that s/he couldn't stop thinking about it.

What lessons can we take from this? In my humble opinion, it's that meditation can help you a lot, but to do it in apropriate dosages.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Modus.Ponens wrote:What lessons can we take from this? In my humble opinion, it's that meditation can help you a lot, but to do it in apropriate dosages.
This is important - you can't just power through trauma by racking up a certain number of hours on the cushion. Brahmaviharas, mindfulness, and samadhi are incredibly helpful when it comes to dealing with painful experiences, but they are also capable of doing great harm when practiced or developed incorrectly.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Just to clear things up, I have never been abused nor am I an Orphan
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, I have.
Practice sila, Samadhi, and panna.
It has worked, and continues to work, for me.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ground

Post by ground »

Mindfulness.
"Furthermore, the monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the five clinging-aggregates.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
:sage:
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Mindfulness, mindfulness, mindfulness. Getting distance and a non judgemental acceptance of traumatic memories is hugely helpful.
MontrealMonk

Post by MontrealMonk »

Ben wrote:
Yes, I have.
Practice sila, Samadhi, and panna.
It has worked, and continues to work, for me.
kind regards,

Ben
Very well said.

:namaste: Nice to meet you, Ben. I'm Freddy from Montreal, Canada.