Buddhism & overcoming traumatic experiences?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Buddhism & overcoming traumatic experiences?

Postby Strive4Karuna » Fri May 03, 2013 10:44 am

Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to overcome? Especially experiences from childhood? Abuse, severe neglect, being an orphan etc.
Strive4Karuna

Re: Buddhism & overcoming traumatic experiences?

Postby retrofuturist » Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 am

Greetings,

Strive4Karuna wrote:Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to overcome? Especially experiences from childhood? Abuse, severe neglect, being an orphan etc.

Cultivation of the brahma-viharas.

:group:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby santa100 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Also contemplate on the anicca(impermanent) nature of all conditioned phenomena. Dukkha is no exception... :smile:
santa100

Postby robertk » Fri May 03, 2013 1:37 pm

elements arise and cease completely instantly. understand that -even to a small degree-and the past will seem like an empty dream..
robertk

Postby Feathers » Fri May 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Be kind to yourself. I sometimes find that because Buddhism teaches "the way out of suffering" I fall into my old ex-Christian habits of feeling that if I am suffering I am sinning - i.e. it is morally wrong of me to feel suffering/pain/sadness/etc. This totally misses the point, so when you look at Buddhism to help you heal and teach you to cope with suffering, don't inadvertently inflict more suffering on yourself. Of course you may not do that anyway, but it is one of my early pitfalls.

:hug:
Feathers

Postby binocular » Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Strive4Karuna wrote:Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to overcome? Especially experiences from childhood? Abuse, severe neglect, being an orphan etc.

I've known several people who have used Buddhist teachings for the purpose of sweeping their problems under the rug ...

IOW, there is the danger of applying the teachings wrongly, but nevertheless having the conviction one is advancing in the practice and getting better.
binocular

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 pm

It's an interesting question. Psychologists studied the monks who came from Tibet and were emprisoned and tortured, and they concluded that they had no PTSD sympthoms. The only explanation is that they practice meditation.

Bhante Yuttadhammo, iirc, told the story of a woman who was abused when she was a child and went to therapists for years and never got over the traumatic event. She was very miserable. He said that she learned to meditate (properly) and she got to a much more peaceful state of mind.

On the other hand, I've read that a person who was abused during childhood, went on a retreat and got out of there earlier and s/he said that it was like living it all over again and that s/he couldn't stop thinking about it.

What lessons can we take from this? In my humble opinion, it's that meditation can help you a lot, but to do it in apropriate dosages.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:What lessons can we take from this? In my humble opinion, it's that meditation can help you a lot, but to do it in apropriate dosages.

This is important - you can't just power through trauma by racking up a certain number of hours on the cushion. Brahmaviharas, mindfulness, and samadhi are incredibly helpful when it comes to dealing with painful experiences, but they are also capable of doing great harm when practiced or developed incorrectly.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
LonesomeYogurt

Postby Strive4Karuna » Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Just to clear things up, I have never been abused nor am I an Orphan
Strive4Karuna

Postby Ben » Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Yes, I have.
Practice sila, Samadhi, and panna.
It has worked, and continues to work, for me.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby ground » Sat May 04, 2013 1:22 am

Mindfulness.
"Furthermore, the monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the five clinging-aggregates.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:sage:
ground

Postby Sadge » Mon May 06, 2013 11:03 am

Mindfulness, mindfulness, mindfulness. Getting distance and a non judgemental acceptance of traumatic memories is hugely helpful.
Sadge

Postby MontrealMonk » Thu May 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Ben wrote:

Yes, I have.
Practice sila, Samadhi, and panna.
It has worked, and continues to work, for me.
kind regards,

Ben

Very well said.

:namaste: Nice to meet you, Ben. I'm Freddy from Montreal, Canada.
MontrealMonk

Return to General Theravāda discussion