Fake Buddha Quote?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Paribbajaka

Re: Fake Buddha Quote?

Post by Paribbajaka »

http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/ This is a good repository of some of the more popular Buddha nonquotes making their rounds.

There is currently an epidemic of mistranslated quotes, oversimplified quotes, or outright fabrications. If one has a little familiarity with the Pali Canon, the blatantly false ones are very easy to identify. The simlified quotes I don't mind as much, but there is definitely enough quotable and inspirational Tipitaka quotes that there is no need for this (Some parts of the Tipitaka, such as the Udana, seem designed solely for the purpose of providing bite-sized quotables.)

I think that because Buddhism still has this "oooh mysterious and mystical" factor in many western minds, many quotes from new age writers, gestalt and cbt therapists, transcendentalist and romantic writers, and motivational speakers seem to find their way to the Buddha's mouth. The fact that these quotes are very rarely provided with a scriptural source (as opposed to, say, Jesus quotes) adds to the confusion. As it stands now, there are many general "feel good" quotes that people try to retrofit into the Buddha because of lack of historical knowledge and wishful thinking, even if they stand in stark contrast to what the Buddha actually taught.

I try, when I can, to point out false quotes in as gentle a way as possible when I see them to try and make things ever so slightly clearer.
May all beings be happy!
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

http://theworsthorse.com/2012/06/dharma ... ty-buddha/

"Thirsty Buddha" - Now that's an oxymoron!! ;)
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Paribbajaka

Post by Paribbajaka »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq4iuBweZJsI'm personally a fan of this one, irreverence, inaccuracies and all.
May all beings be happy!
alan

Post by alan »

Sam KR: Fake Buddha quotes spread disinformation, and convince ignorant people they are on the right path. It's slander.
EricK

Post by EricK »

I just did a search on the Majjhima Nikaya, Digha Nikaya, Samyutta Nkaya, Anguttara Nikaya and the Dhammapadda and I could not find this quote. (I was using the eBook versions of all.) I also could not find LonesomeYogurt's quotes in MN 37 and AN 6.61. There are quotes that sound similar, but they do not have to do with clinging. They are more in the area of right view (MN 22, for example). Here is the flavor of those discussions:

“Is what is impermanent, suffering, and subject to change fit to be regarded thus: ‘This is mine, this I am, [233] this is my self’?”—“No,
[MN 35.20]

So yes, I think this is a fake quote. Some very prominent teachers use it.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

EricK wrote:I also could not find LonesomeYogurt's quotes in MN 37 and AN 6.61.
They are certainly there. MN 37 (Cūḷataṇhāsaṅkhaya Sutta):
  • Then Sakka, ruler of gods, went to the Blessed One, and after paying homage to him, he stood at one side and asked: “Venerable sir, how in brief is a bhikkhu liberated in the destruction of craving, one who has reached the ultimate end, the ultimate security from bondage, the ultimate holy life, the ultimate goal, one who is foremost among gods and humans?”

“Here, ruler of gods, a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth adhering to. When a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth adhering to, he directly knows everything; having directly known everything, he fully understands everything; having fully understood everything, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he abides contemplating impermanence in those feelings, contemplating fading away, contemplating cessation, contemplating relinquishment. Contemplating thus, he does not cling to anything in the world. When he does not cling, he is not agitated. When he is not agitated, he personally attains Nibbāna. He understands: ‘Birth is destroyed, the holy life has been lived, what had to be done has been done, there is no more coming to any state of being.’ Briefly, it is in this way, ruler of gods, that a bhikkhu is liberated in the destruction of craving, one who has reached the ultimate end, the ultimate security from bondage, the ultimate holy life, the ultimate goal, one who is foremost among gods and humans.”

Then Sakka, ruler of gods, delighting and rejoicing in the Blessed One’s words, paid homage to the Blessed One, and keeping him on his right, he vanished at once.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)