Happy Birthday WWW

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Happy Birthday WWW

Post by Ben »

To mark the 20th anniversary of the World Wide Web, CERN is recreating the "first ever" web page:

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

More here:

20 years on, world's first web page to be reborn

kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Happy Birthday WWW

Post by DNS »

:thumbsup: Great invention; one of the best in the history of mankind, in my opinion. It is a great information resource and connects people like never before from around the world.

The 20th century saw the mass production of cars, the A-bomb, commercial airlines, space travel, personal computers and the internet. I wonder how the 21st century is going to top that?
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

It's amazing that just 20 years from the internets creation society would pretty much collapse if it went down.
We are very lucky to have access to this wonderful invention.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Remember the old library card catalog?

Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

David N. Snyder wrote::thumbsup: Great invention; one of the best in the history of mankind, in my opinion. It is a great information resource and connects people like never before from around the world.

The 20th century saw the mass production of cars, the A-bomb, commercial airlines, space travel, personal computers and the internet. I wonder how the 21st century is going to top that?
What about the girl who recently killed herself because, after gang raping her, the attackers posted photos of it on the web? I often wonder if all this "connectedness" is a force for good or evil. The instant gratification of the internet is artificial and unsustainable. Of course, there are great benefits to the internet, like identity theft. However, I think we should see it as just another source of dukkha.

Hopefully the 21st century see the invention of peace and harmony, not another fruitless material gadget.

(Sorry... I have a terrible headache) :tantrum:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Buckwheat wrote: What about the girl who recently killed herself because, after gang raping her, the attackers posted photos of it on the web? I often wonder if all this "connectedness" is a force for good or evil.
Certainly it can be used in an unwholesome way just as a car or truck could be used to drive recklessly, run someone over and even kill them but also could be used for its intended purpose of going from Point A to Point B or to deliver supplies, food and medicine. The internet could be used for wholesome purposes of a resource, education and connecting with others in a wholesome way.
Hopefully the 21st century see the invention of peace and harmony, not another fruitless material gadget.
Call me an optimist, but I am hopeful that continued economic development and connectivity will occur throughout the Third World, better distribution of food and supplies will occur and starvation and poverty will go down, especially starvation to very low numbers.