When?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
K.Dhamma

When?

Post by K.Dhamma »

I know I want to ordain. I plan on doing the pre-req's such as staying at a monastery for 1 month and then seeing how it goes. But the question I have is when?

I am leaving this a pretty open question because I want some varied answers. Any and all information is welcome, including constructive criticism.

Thanks. Much metta.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
reflection

Re: When?

Post by reflection »

Cool!

For ordination I'd say, take your time, but don't take so long the inspiration fades away.

For going on a one month stay, I'd say go as soon as you reasonably can.

:anjali:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Seize the moment, take the opportunity before the inclination fades, or before you fall in love or get a great job or debts.
The window of opportunity may be brief.

The closer I get to going, the more gorgeous and available women I meet, plus I've been offered an excellent interesting job.
It's hard to say No Thanks.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi James
Our village monk had an affair with this gorgeous women.
He burnt the forest (luckily not the temple) and got married to her and became a lay person. ;)

PS:
The monk who taught Buddhism in our school, got friendly with a female student and disrobe.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

It's funny you say that about a job. A job was offered to me and I accepted to finish paying off debts. :D It's ok though, it's very mundane and is allowing me to even practice at work.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Dennenappelmoes

Post by Dennenappelmoes »

Depends. Are you attractive? I'm no dating material for the girls so I can afford to go october next year :rolleye:

I do like a bit of time before going. Makes things in the meantime that much more special and it gives you some opportunity to slowly get used to the concept of "no more X" (X=money, your town, the people, etc). I'm not afraid that it's getting too long-term. I've been studying and aspiring to be an artist for 4 years. Surely, I can keep this up for 2..