woman looking for a place to ordain

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Galaxy

woman looking for a place to ordain

Post by Galaxy »

Hello everybody!

I've been looking for a place to ordain for about a year. I'm 22 originally form Poland but I've moved to UK recently to earn money for my ordination (I mean flight tickets, visas and any other expenses).
I've been to Amaravati a few times for two retreats and some long term stays, however I would like to find a place where there is acceptance for bhikkhuni ordination. I was thinking about Dhammasara or Santi Forest Monastery but I'm concern about visa issue. Maybe I should try in Sri Lanka? Do you know any suitable place for a westerner or should I try in Australia?
Thank you for any ideas or helpful advices! :anjali:

Paulina
DNS
Site Admin

Re: woman looking for a place to ordain

Post by DNS »

Hi Paulina,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

I hope you find a place; good luck in the noble endeavor. I have a list here of bhikkhuni monasteries (not complete list by any means):

bhikkhuni monasteries
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

There are also a couple of places in the USA and Canada.

Here's a good list:
http://bhikkhuni.net/directory.html
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

There's Australia, Sri Lanka, and I know of one bhikkhuni monastery in a really nice part of California.

Here's the place in California - http://www.aranyabodhi.org/

Also, you should read this page - https://sites.google.com/site/dhammadha ... a-buddhism

Edit: I think the best place to ordain would be Sri Lanka though.

:namaste:
Last edited by Polar Bear on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Good luck, Paulina! :)
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Galaxy

Post by Galaxy »

Thank you very much!
Does any of you have personal experiences with any of those places? I treat this as a lifetime commitment therefore I would like to choose the best place for training. My concern about Sri Lanka is that there might be a language barrier.

With metta,
Paulina
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yeah, you may want to spend some time learning Sinhala before heading to Sri Lanka (if you choose to go there).

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."