How common is stream entry?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
manas

Re: How common is stream entry?

Post by manas »

Lend ear, friends: the Deathless has been attained. I will instruct you. I will teach you the Dhamma. Practicing as instructed, you will in no long time reach & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for yourselves in the here & now.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
(words/bolded/for/emphasis)
Im/not/being/naive/or/overly/optimistic
as/far/as/i/know
but/I/sense/or/intuit
that/a/lot/depends
on/how/much/we/are/willing/to/strive
exert/ourselves
give/up/sensual/pleasures
meditate/many/hours/per/day/and/night
and/so/on
all/those/things
that/the/suttas/say/over/and/over
we/ought/to/do
but/that/are/so/challenging
to/really/throw/all/our/effort/into

i/tend/to/agree/with/the/notion
that/if/we/really/wanted/liberation
its/all/laid/out/pretty/well
but/not/many/people
really/go/for/it
i/know/ive/hesitated/also
not/given/100%/day/in/day/out
so/im/not/judging

metta
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
retrofuturist wrote:I don't recall anything off the top of my head where the Buddha explains how difficult it is for one who actually encounters his teachings
Actually, I just came across this from AN 1.342...

"Those beings are few who understand the meaning of the Dhamma and then practice in accordance with the Dhamma; more numerous are those who not understand the meaning of the Dhamma and do not practice in accordance with the Dhamma".

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Vincenzi wrote:
khlawng wrote:I for one hope anyone that believe they have attained sotapanna to come forward and tell us how they did. No judgement, no shame and no criticism. Sure there are the crazies. But I will go through a 100, 1000, 10,000 of them to find that 1 gem. That is my conviction. That is my effort.
Some time after learning about past lives, I* started to search more about the Dharma/Dhamma and specially the Four Stages of Nirvana.

A few years later, and after cleaning some past karma I was sure that I was born a srotapana (how common Bodhisattva vows and srotapanas were in my inmediate past life was an important part of the recollections I had of that specific life).

Right now I'm focusing in the sakadagami to anagami transition, with special care not to get addicted to jhanas (but because of that, I started to neglect the practice of meditation).

*anatta may be more about negating the concept of atman, of recognizing what is commonly called self as impermanent (anicca) than any nihilist view. pronouns used as per usual.
So what do you recollect about "how to did it"? As that was the request made by the poster you responded to.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

retrofuturist wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:I don't recall anything off the top of my head where the Buddha explains how difficult it is for one who actually encounters his teachings
Actually, I just came across this from AN 1.342...
"Those beings are few who understand the meaning of the Dhamma and then practice in accordance with the Dhamma; more numerous are those who not understand the meaning of the Dhamma and do not practice in accordance with the Dhamma".
"Of two people who, having listened to the Dhamma, remember it — one who explores the meaning of the Dhamma he has remembered and one who doesn't — the one who doesn't explore the meaning of the Dhamma he has remembered is to be criticized for that reason, the one who does explore the meaning of the Dhamma he has remembered is, for that reason, to be praised.

"Of two people who explore the meaning of the Dhamma they have remembered — one who practices the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, having a sense of Dhamma, having a sense of meaning, and one who doesn't — the one who doesn't practice the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, having a sense of Dhamma, having a sense of meaning, is to be criticized for that reason, the one who does practice the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, having a sense of Dhamma, having a sense of meaning is, for that reason, to be praised.

"Of two people who practice the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, having a sense of Dhamma, having a sense of meaning — one who practices for both his own benefit and that of others, and one who practices for his own benefit but not that of others — the one who practices for his own benefit but not that of others is to be criticized for that reason, the one who practices for both his own benefit and that of others is, for that reason, to be praised.

(source: AN 7.64) + (Into the Stream: A Study Guide on the First Stage of Awakening, Thanissaro Bhikkhu)
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

mogg wrote:
Feathers wrote:
manas wrote: . . . if/it/just/makes/one/feel/despondent
like/oh/if/this/Path/is/so/rare/to/attain
whats/the/point/in/trying
i/cant/do/it
etc
in/that/case
the/anxiety/is/unskilful . . .
I have to admit I got pretty despondent after looking over this thread.
Difficult as it may be, do you have a choice? Nope, so suck it up and get on with it my friend :)
Or I can decide the game isn't worth the candle - after all, even if (big if for me) rebirth is all true, memory carrying over seems so rare, that I won't be suffering. So I do as much as benefits me in this life, and then either this life is all there ever was (win) or I get reborn and continue for many more lives . . . but that would have happened anyway, as apparently even working your butt off for decades doesn't get you free of that.

If real progress, stream-entry at least, is not a realistic possibility, I simply don't see the motivation to do more than meditate a bit (for a happier mind) and live a moral life (because it's the right thing to do, and to hedge your bets on reincarnation).

This one life is exhausting - I used to wish there was an afterlife, now I am leaning towards hoping this one life is all there is. The idea of 7 more is already too much to face. To expend effort and precious energy on something that would still almost certainly leave me facing far more than 7 . . .

Looking at life here and now is like standing at the bottom of a hill with two broken legs, knowing I have to somehow climb that hill. Buddhism seems to chuck in an entire mountain range.

And yes, I know I'm on a Buddhist forum, and . . . I do believe there's something to Buddhism. If I didn't, if I was neutral or opposed to it, I wouldn't be here.
mogg

Post by mogg »

Feathers wrote:Or I can decide the game isn't worth the candle - after all, even if (big if for me) rebirth is all true, memory carrying over seems so rare, that I won't be suffering. So I do as much as benefits me in this life, and then either this life is all there ever was (win) or I get reborn and continue for many more lives . . . but that would have happened anyway, as apparently even working your butt off for decades doesn't get you free of that.

If real progress, stream-entry at least, is not a realistic possibility, I simply don't see the motivation to do more than meditate a bit (for a happier mind) and live a moral life (because it's the right thing to do, and to hedge your bets on reincarnation).

This one life is exhausting - I used to wish there was an afterlife, now I am leaning towards hoping this one life is all there is. The idea of 7 more is already too much to face. To expend effort and precious energy on something that would still almost certainly leave me facing far more than 7 . . .

Looking at life here and now is like standing at the bottom of a hill with two broken legs, knowing I have to somehow climb that hill. Buddhism seems to chuck in an entire mountain range.

And yes, I know I'm on a Buddhist forum, and . . . I do believe there's something to Buddhism. If I didn't, if I was neutral or opposed to it, I wouldn't be here.

Feathers
It sounds like your level of nibbida (disenchantment, weariness) is strong. This bodes well; who knows, maybe the path will be piece of cake for you?

Becoming a doctor is difficult and 'rare'. When I finished school in Sydney, less than the top 1% of students could qualify for medicine. Is it impossible? No, but you would lying to your kid if you said it was common and easy. That being said, for some kids it IS easy. Maybe you are one of those 'kids'? You'll never know unless you give it a shot.

At the end of the day, its all causal from my understanding. You don't really have much choice in the matter. The fact that you have already come this close to Buddhism means you are already on the path.
Last edited by mogg on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Just out of curiosity, how common is reaching the deva realm, compared to gaining stream entry?

I ask because traditionally many if not most laypeople have set their sights on a favorable rebirth, rather than ariyan attainments. So it's not necessarily a simple choice between reaching stream entry or falling into the lower realms.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Human realm and above is rare. If you honestly believe this and also believe that the arising of a Buddha is rare too you'd be pretty foolish not to put as much effort as is needed to achieve stream-entry. To me it's pretty damn clear that this is the path out of suffering and even though I struggled with accepting these teachings in the past through investigation I've realized there's no other way out. You have to put some effort in this respect to see these things...you can't just sit there like a lump on the log and except insight to come to you. Stop complaining that it's too hard....reflect on what the Buddha did to achieve enlightenment...now what if the Buddha had the "it's too hard!" attitude! Can you picture the Buddha saying that? Oh, it's too hard...I can't do it! No, he was a strong person and he forged through! I have had my moments of discouragement, but they're becoming less and less and I have reflected on the strength of the Buddha and it's encourages me to move forward.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

mogg wrote:
Dan74 wrote:Mogg, thanks. I don't think I am wedded to a position on this. In fact I've been trying to argue against taking a position, that taking a position is counter-productive. Perhaps you can take your own advice and read posts more carefully.

The passage you quoted again is no evidence that stream-entry is rare and difficult, I am sorry. The Dhamma being deep, hard to see and hard to realize is very true but I don't think it necessarily follows that those who sincerely strive overwhelmingly fail to do what is difficult. Especially if one does not delight in attachment, excited by attachment, enjoys attachment.

Reports of a few monks is hardly evidence unless they were major teachers who have instructed many monks and would know of their attainments. If they were, I will accept this as some evidence that it is rare.

But again, I am not of the opinion that stream-entry is easy to realize, just that it is not useful to posit that it is difficult. And that it may in fact make it more difficult that it needs to be.
Dan, Ajahn Brahm said in a talk I attended in Malaysia that whilst the vinaya prohibited him from giving specifics, he could say that there are monks and nuns getting enlightened in the contemporary Sangha. So it is being done.

However, like I said previously, I ask this question a lot and I have passed on the consistent answer that I have received from monks and nuns (some prominent teachers, others low-key). This follows my own experience of walking the path, as for me, nothing has come easily since I embarked on this journey. This is fairly common from discussions with other practitioners that I have come across (with a few exceptions...like a friend of mine who got into jhana on her first retreat). For most of us, its not easy. Like I said previously though, I would rather know the truth of the matter and face up to it like a man than delude myself with all sorts of 'puppy dogs and ice-cream' fluff like you see being peddled in other religions.

Know it's tough, know that you have no choice, and get on with it.

(If it turns out to be easy for you then come track me down and help me out :smile: )
No worries, Mogg! Sorry that my earlier reply to you was rash. If this attitude works for you, motivates you and keeps you on track, then great!

It's also a good idea to regularly check in with good teachers, especially on retreats, which you're probably already doing.
_/|\_
Zom

Post by Zom »

Instead of making guesses about the "rarity" and the stuff, better look more often into Dhamma Mirror to see if there are still things to be fulfilled to be a stream-enterer yourself -) When there they are, there will be no need to ask this question.

However, just for statistics. There's a sutta where Buddha speaks about people who passed away in a certain village. Among them there were 50 non-returners, 90 once-returners and 506 (ye, 506) stream-enterers.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Zom wrote:Instead of making guesses about the "rarity" and the stuff, better look more often into Dhamma Mirror to see if there are still things to be fulfilled to be a stream-enterer yourself -) When there they are, there will be no need to ask this question.

However, just for statistics. There's a sutta where Buddha speaks about people who passed away in a certain village. Among them there were 50 non-returners, 90 once-returners and 506 (ye, 506) stream-enterers.
Hello Zom,

What Sutta is this? Please give details, and a link.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

"The layman Sudatta, Ananda, through the destruction of the three fetters (self-belief, doubt, and faith in the efficacy of rituals and observances), and the lessening of lust, hatred, and delusion, has become a once-returner and is bound to make an end of suffering after having returned but once more to this world.

"The laywoman Sujata, Ananda, through the destruction of the three fetters has become a stream-enterer, and is safe from falling into the states of misery, assured, and bound for Enlightenment.

"The layman Kakudha, Ananda, through the destruction of the five lower fetters (that bind beings to the world of the senses), has arisen spontaneously (among the Suddhavasa deities), and will come to final cessation in that very place, not liable to return from that world. [Anagami]

"So it is with Kalinga, Nikata, Katissabha, Tuttha, Santuttha, Bhadda, and Subhadda, and with more than fifty laymen in Nadika. More than ninety laymen who have passed away in Nadika, Ananda, through the destruction of the three fetters, and the lessening of lust, hatred, and delusion, have become once-returners and are bound to make an end of suffering after having returned but once more to this world.

"More than five hundred laymen who have passed away in Nadika, Ananda, through the complete destruction of the three fetters have become stream-enterers, and are safe from falling into the states of misery, assured, and bound for Enlightenment.

Digha Nikaya 16 Parinibbana Sutta
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... bana_Sutta
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Feathers wrote:Or I can decide the game isn't worth the candle - after all, even if (big if for me) rebirth is all true, memory carrying over seems so rare, that I won't be suffering. So I do as much as benefits me in this life, and then either this life is all there ever was (win) or I get reborn and continue for many more lives . . . but that would have happened anyway, as apparently even working your butt off for decades doesn't get you free of that.
We are supposed to have been in hell, and slaughtered as animals so many times that enough blood spilled to fill the oceans... Yet, somehow I don't remember it and it doesn't seem to really affect my current personality. (I think that so much suffering would make anyone seriously insane).

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Feathers wrote:This one life is exhausting - I used to wish there was an afterlife, now I am leaning towards hoping this one life is all there is. The idea of 7 more is already too much to face. To expend effort and precious energy on something that would still almost certainly leave me facing far more than 7 . . .
I agree. Not only is 7 too much, but even this one is too much.
mogg

Post by mogg »

Zom wrote:Instead of making guesses about the "rarity" and the stuff, better look more often into Dhamma Mirror to see if there are still things to be fulfilled to be a stream-enterer yourself -) When there they are, there will be no need to ask this question.

Don't forget, in Pali when '500' is mentioned, it doesn't literally mean '500' , it just means a lot.

Also consider the kammic situation of people born in the exact time and place of the Buddha...insanely good kamma. A whole different kettle of fish to us here now, 2500 yrs displaced from the teaching. You cannot compare the two.
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

kirk5a wrote:
Vincenzi wrote:
khlawng wrote:I for one hope anyone that believe they have attained sotapanna to come forward and tell us how they did. No judgement, no shame and no criticism. Sure there are the crazies. But I will go through a 100, 1000, 10,000 of them to find that 1 gem. That is my conviction. That is my effort.
Some time after learning about past lives, I* started to search more about the Dharma/Dhamma and specially the Four Stages of Nirvana.

A few years later, and after cleaning some past karma I was sure that I was born a srotapana (how common Bodhisattva vows and srotapanas were in my inmediate past life was an important part of the recollections I had of that specific life).

Right now I'm focusing in the sakadagami to anagami transition, with special care not to get addicted to jhanas (but because of that, I started to neglect the practice of meditation).

*anatta may be more about negating the concept of atman, of recognizing what is commonly called self as impermanent (anicca) than any nihilist view. pronouns used as per usual.
So what do you recollect about "how to did it"? As that was the request made by the poster you responded to.
lots and lots of meditation, a civilization more in tune with nature, much more supportive friendships (compared to humans, at least in this age), a vast collection of knowledge, a more simple lifestyle (less frantic), a culture that respects ahimsa and the Dharma.