Does equanimity means that every days becomes easier and eas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Does equanimity means that every days becomes easier and eas

Post by villkorkarma »

does equanimity means that every day becomes easier and easier?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
daverupa

Re: Does equanimity means that every days becomes easier and

Post by daverupa »

It means that one isn't unsettled, whether it happens to be an easy day or a difficult day.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

villkorkarma wrote:does equanimity means that every day becomes easier and easier?
It might do for one whose practice is perfect and whose progress is very rapid. But for the rest of us, I suspect it is more like this:
Just as when a carpenter or carpenter's apprentice sees the marks of his fingers or thumb on the handle of his adze but does not know, 'Today my adze handle wore down this much, or yesterday it wore down that much, or the day before yesterday it wore down this much,' still he knows it is worn through when it is worn through. In the same way, when a monk dwells devoting himself to development, he does not know, 'Today my effluents wore down this much, or yesterday they wore down that much, or the day before yesterday they wore down this much,' still he knows they are worn through when they are worn through.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Digity

Post by Digity »

I guess in some ways. Equanimity is just a by-product of wisdom. Once you see into the nature of things a sense of equanimity should develop towards pleasant/unpleasant.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sam Vara wrote:
villkorkarma wrote:does equanimity means that every day becomes easier and easier?
It might do for one whose practice is perfect and whose progress is very rapid. But for the rest of us, I suspect it is more like this:
Just as when a carpenter or carpenter's apprentice sees the marks of his fingers or thumb on the handle of his adze but does not know, 'Today my adze handle wore down this much, or yesterday it wore down that much, or the day before yesterday it wore down this much,' still he knows it is worn through when it is worn through. In the same way, when a monk dwells devoting himself to development, he does not know, 'Today my effluents wore down this much, or yesterday they wore down that much, or the day before yesterday they wore down this much,' still he knows they are worn through when they are worn through.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
:goodpost:

:namaste:
Kim
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

daverupa wrote:It means that one isn't unsettled, whether it happens to be an easy day or a difficult day.
okay nice
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

All that is said is right i want to add in my words :

i think that even the equanimity changes - i had some really good times with mindfulness growing and growing and being very equanimous for lets say a month and then i would think i would go back to point zero (when i started meditating) in those aspects -

so i would say this : know that as long as your practicing towards destroying the defilements and meditating then you should advance BUT its also good to always think "how can i imporove my pratice for faster development" maybe by adding meditation time or maybe by taking another precept

and the most important thing is not to stop - cause some times when you improve your mindfulness you might "see" better your situation and notice how unmindful you are -

i know i had a time when i was very angry and yelled alot and my teacher told me its part of my advancement and that its an indication that i am improving - and i dont think he said that just so i would feel good

if last week you meditated 10 minutes in a day and this week you meditate 5 a day that dosnt mean you are going back - it just means you will advance slower but you will still advance
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

There's a chapter on equanimity which you might find helpful, called "Evenness of Mind," in Ajahn Sucitto's downloadable book "Parami - Ways to Cross Life's Floods"

http://forestsanghapublications.org/vie ... 81&ref=deb

villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Do you still have hard missions when you are equanimous?
I readed that the hindrances dissapear is that true? how come? what have changed in generally why do you handle it so much better now? (tha hard missions (eventually(if they hasnt dissapear)))
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I readed that the hindrances disappear is that true?

when i dont eat after lunch and i am very mindful i almost! dont have an urge to eat food - whenever my practice is good then its all hindrances gets weaker

Now for example it goes bad and im eating like crazy with no control lol
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

okay, remember that the Point isnt to run after extasypleasures
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

how come that one isnt unsettled more even having a bad day?