Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Feathers wrote:You don't think it would be a good way to break attachment to food, and in particular comfort eating? (sincere question, not trying to be sarcastic or anything). I'm not aiming at weight loss specifically, though obviously that would be nice.

I understand where you are coming from. You need to address the root cause of the problem which is attachment, craving and to a lesser extent - aversion. If you have a strong practice foundation then adopting the eight precepts (which includes no eating after mid-day) can be very beneficial. If you don't have a strong practice then you could end up creating more problems. As you mentioned you are not yet a Buddhist then I will recommend that while you investigate Buddhadhamma to also investigate a health & wellbeing program that includes a calorie controlled, balanced and healthy diet and regular exercise. In time, your practice will complement your health and wellbeing program by directly addressing the root causes of your attachment to food and comfort eating.
kind regards,

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Feathers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm

I see what you mean, and thank you for the kind advice. I guess if for now I look into making my evening meal a very light meal (whereas currently it's my main meal) that might be a more sensible start.
I know what I need to eat to be healthier, I just . . . don't do it. Stupid I know.
Feathers

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Feathers wrote:I see what you mean, and thank you for the kind advice. I guess if for now I look into making my evening meal a very light meal (whereas currently it's my main meal) that might be a more sensible start.
I know what I need to eat to be healthier, I just . . . don't do it. Stupid I know.

Its not stupid. Its actually very hard to counter a lifetime of conditioning. Buddhist practice will help you unravel your conditionings. The website I mentioned earlier has some great tools too, and if you commit yourself to using the application and expending effort in exercising and changing your diet - it will give results.
Kind regrds,

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby primitiveresonance » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:05 pm

I don't think one meal a day is unhealthy. I think it is healthier than to have many meals a day. Of course some snacks may be needed if one is being very active physically.

I'm eating a good meal finishnig at 12:00am and having a salad in the evening. I have developed a clearer understanding about food and nutrition while following this one-meal-program (ok, I take the salad so it's not really only one meal). Food gives deeper satisfaction and I don't go after the taste (sensual craving) which is not the important part of eating. The actual substance that goes to the belly and is being digested is. One meal a day gives enough time for the digestion to finish the previous intake before next one. That's very good for health.

I have more energy because it is not wated in digesting too much food that would be the case with two or three daily meals. My mind/senses are more at ease and clear. Thinking is also more clear than with more food or with dead animals in my food.
primitiveresonance

Previous

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness