Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Post by DNS »

gavesako wrote:I was just reading the biography of this monk in northern Thailand:
Since April 2010 the Venerable Khuva Boonchum has been in a solitary retreat in the Rajagrha cave in Lampang Province, northern Thailand; he is determined to complete a three-years three-months three-weeks and three-days retreat. A life-long vegetarian, he lives on fruits and biscuits that his followers bring all the way and place them at the entrance of the cave. He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around. He observes total silence while in retreat but answers dhamma questions in writing when one is put to him.
:popcorn:
That is amazing. He sounds like a serious monk and he lives on only biscuits and fruits!? How did / does he do that in regard to the 3-fold rule? Is he allowed to let the lay people know to bring him only those foods? Great discipline!
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I think he is like those Tibetan monks doing tantric meditation practices and probably gets much energy from that. Also i don't think he follows the conventional Vinaya strictly in terms of having food offered into his hands.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Digity

Post by Digity »

gavesako wrote:I was just reading the biography of this monk in northern Thailand:
Since April 2010 the Venerable Khuva Boonchum has been in a solitary retreat in the Rajagrha cave in Lampang Province, northern Thailand; he is determined to complete a three-years three-months three-weeks and three-days retreat. A life-long vegetarian, he lives on fruits and biscuits that his followers bring all the way and place them at the entrance of the cave. He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around. He observes total silence while in retreat but answers dhamma questions in writing when one is put to him.
:popcorn:
That sounds like a bad diet...too many simple carbs. I hope he doesn't get health problems.
Chi

Post by Chi »

Many Tibetan yogis living in mountains and caves will subsist mostly on tsampa (roasted barley flour) for years and decades. They seem to come out very realized human beings. So maybe we make too big of a deal out of our diets.

Personally, I like to eat lots of fruit and veggies and nuts. I do admit, I am fascinated with peanut butter right now.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
mirco

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by mirco »

alan wrote:Monks have to follow the rules, but why would anyone else take up the unhealthy practice of restricting your food? Is there some inherent virtue in this practice? Thanks
What makes you think that it's unhealthy? Personal experience?
I once did it for one month and I never in my whole life had more energy every day that in that period.

It's a energy thing. Up to a certain degree it's the less you eat, the more energy you have. That energy you can use for meditation instead digestion. Same with sleep.

Regards :-)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I heard this saying “We eat food and food eat us”
By the way I spoke to one of my Muslim friend (Islamic faith) and he said that he take one meal a day for forty days in Ramadan season. He said that he was quite fit and lost about eight kilos.

Last night I skip my dinner and got a headache this morning. One of my work friend said, may be my sugar level gone down. It seems to me that food control also a gradual training thing.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pax

Post by Pax »

This may be worth a try, I've been trying to lose weight to help my knees out and while I'm eating a very healthy diet with the appropriate number of calories, and exercising... I am not losing much weight at all and it's been several months. My doctor measured my metabolism and commented that is so low/slow as to be hard to measure. Good news if I'm ever in a famine situation, poor news in a modern western culture.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Over the last couple of months I've switched from one meal to two. This is because I now do regular exercise, primarily in the form of Bikram Yoga, but also running and cycling where they fit in.

Three meals still feels like too much.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Two meals seems to be sufficient for moderate physical exertion throughout ones day, even when the two meals are before noon, in my experience. I've even gained weight this way.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Retro
Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D
I still take three meals a day. I hope every day that I mange to skip my tea (dinner).
I strongly beleive that will help with my practice if I have some success one day.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pax

Post by Pax »

daverupa wrote:Two meals seems to be sufficient for moderate physical exertion throughout ones day, even when the two meals are before noon, in my experience. I've even gained weight this way.
It is my great hope that this will work for me as well. Sometimes I cannot believe the amount of time and effort expended on food, planning, buying, thinking about, preparing, eating; it feels endless. The idea of preparing and consuming all food for the day in the morning to early afternoon time frame and then simply being done with it all seems so freeing.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I seem to have settled on a schedule of waking at 0400 & eating around 0500 and again around 0900. The second is the larger of the two meals, and is either made at home along with breakfast and brought along or else held at an eatery, in which case the time is pushed forward to opening hours, as necessary. It seems sufficient for a day of steady walking.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D
Ha. Well, I think essentially you need to eat an amount that is comparable to the amount you exert. When I ate one meal a day, that was fine because I did a bare minimum of physical exercise.

This is why modern society is getting so fat... because exertion reduces (as technology and creature comforts pervade) and intake either remains stagnant or increases (as eating is increasingly regarded as a source of luxurious pleasure rather than of sustenance).

The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
manas

Post by manas »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
SarathW wrote:Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D
Ha. Well, I think essentially you need to eat an amount that is comparable to the amount you exert. When I ate one meal a day, that was fine because I did a bare minimum of physical exercise.

This is why modern society is getting so fat... because exertion reduces (as technology and creature comforts pervade) and intake either remains stagnant or increases (as eating is increasingly regarded as a source of luxurious pleasure rather than of sustenance).

The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.

Metta,
Hi/retro
when/i/try/to/forgo/the/evening/meal
i/notice/that/mindfulness/is/enhanced
but/interestingly/hunger/is/not/really/the/issue
as/you/pointed/out/unless/we/do/hard/physical/work
we/dont/need/three/large/meals/a/day.
the/problem/i/find
is/that/uncomfortable/emotions/arise
when/i/dont/eat/in/the/evening.
emotions/that/had/previously/been/suppressed
by/stuffing/food/down
begin/to/bubble/up/into/awareness.
i/have/come/to/think
that/often/we/eat/for/comfort
rather/than/out/of/need
because/food/is/able/to/suppress/certain/things
in/my/experience.
however/it/is/more/skilful
to/face/those/difficult/feelings
than/to/keep/avoiding/them
by/constantly/eating/imho
metta
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
ground

Post by ground »

alan wrote:Monks have to follow the rules, but why would anyone else take up the unhealthy practice of restricting your food?
Is there some inherent virtue in this practice?
Nothing inherent in it.
Actually it is about sense pleasures. The sight of food, the noise of food being chewed, the odor of food, the touch of food, the taste of food. It is the source for the maintenance of clinging to sense pleasures since itself is the cultivation of sense pleasures and since if the body is well fed desires will arise. Now you may imagine the benefits of reducing the frequency to the minimum, just to stay alive because if you don't stay alive you cannot tread the path but if you do not practice restraint you cannot tread the path to its (postulated) end either. :sage: