I've been accepted to stay at Ajahn Brahm's monastery

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
cooran

Re: I've been accepted to stay at Ajahn Brahm's monastery

Post by cooran »

Deep breath now! You'll be fine! :hug:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

:woohoo:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

:hug:

:anjali:
Mike
reflection

Post by reflection »

Have a nice time! :twothumbsup:
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

This has been incredibly exciting to read and I wish you only the best of fortunes as you progress on the path!

Just amazing! :jumping:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

i think you have very good karma
to be able to be around people like ajahn brahm n sujato.
make good use of your opportunity there.

there will be tough times, hang in there.
dont lose sight of the ultimate goal.
all the best n may you be free from suffering in this lifetime.
cheers.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Wow! I wish you the best of luck in your journey ahead. I admire your courage! :woohoo:
Mindstar

Post by Mindstar »

Hey James i`m very happy for you its smegintastic. You are indeed one lucky fellow.
Thanks for all of the detailed information. If you got more please keep it coming its very interesting.
Well i can imagine that you have to wash a lot of dishes in the beginning but if you see that every single dish is an increase in your bank of karma it gives you a perception of achievement and accomplishment and soon you will get addicted to dish washing.
Hopefully i will be able to wash your dishes one day :anjali:

Higher than lordship over all earth,
Higher than sojourning in heavens supreme,
Higher than empire over all the worlds,
Is Fruit of Entrance to the Dhamma Stream.
—Dhammapada
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Congratulations James! I wish you the best.

I have just returned from a 4 days retreat with Ajahn Brahm at Sampran Riverside in Nakorn Pathom, Thailand, and I have to say that it has been one of the best investment that I have ever made.

I would not be able to resume Ajahn Brahm's style with only one word. I must use 3 words: kindness, kindness, and kindness.

:anjali:
Yuriy_WisdomTraveler

Post by Yuriy_WisdomTraveler »

Congratulations James!

Can you please provide me with advice also. I am interested in the monastic life and have been following the monastery and Ajahn Brahm for years now. But I live in New York... How would I apply for a long-term stay there and possible ordination in the long run?

Thank you,
Yuriy
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I'm a huge fan of Ahahn Brahm's youtube channel.

I've thought about going on one of his meditation retreats. I live on the east coast of the United States, so I would need at least $3k just to get there and back. I have only found once review/account of what retreats of his are like. I would love to hear more. Something tells me I wouldn't get more "content" then what I already get from his books and videos. I would love to meet him, but I wouldn't know what he would say to me beyond "Hello and thank you for the compliments on my videos".
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jhana4 wrote:Something tells me I wouldn't get more "content" then what I already get from his books and videos. I would love to meet him, but I wouldn't know what he would say to me beyond "Hello and thank you for the compliments on my videos".
You're right the meditation and basic instructions will be the same as what you could find online. The big advantage would be with the one-on-one interviews with him regarding, meditation, jhanas, etc. AB is great and with his humor, he knows how to break the ice quickly. When he was at my place he noticed some other men with bald heads and asked something like, "Did David make it a rule to shave your head to join this group?"

You could wait for when he is back in the U.S. to lead a retreat or you could attend a retreat led by another good monk, including Bhante G. who I believe is fairly close by to you (if you have not already done so).
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

David N. Snyder wrote: You could wait for when he is back in the U.S. to lead a retreat
I have the impression that AB doesn't visit the US.
or you could attend a retreat led by another good monk, including Bhante G. who I believe is fairly close by to you (if you have not already done so).
I have. He had a heart attack last summer. This summer, he gave group interviews ( questions and answer sessions in small groups really ) to not tax himself too much. I couldn't think of more than one or two simple questions.

When AB does retreats, will he interview you whether or not you can articulate questions to ask him? Will he quiz you about your experiences so he can offer you suggestions in that situation?

The only other retreats I've been on have been Goenka retreats, which are video based. Those retreats were a long time ago so I can't recall if the assistant teachers interviewed people or not......or asked them how it was going if they couldn't articulate questions.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jhana4 wrote: When AB does retreats, will he interview you whether or not you can articulate questions to ask him? Will he quiz you about your experiences so he can offer you suggestions in that situation?
Yes (to both).
Jhana4 wrote: I have the impression that AB doesn't visit the US.
You're right, not very often anyway. He came to one city in Canada last year and one in the U.S. and that is all that I know of; maybe there might be more visits in the future.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hello James

How's everything going? I hope you are well.

Best wishes! :)
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta