A resolve

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
manas

A resolve

Post by manas »

Greetings once again, dear DW members,

I have tried to manage on my own with abstinence from that quite mild tobacco habit I have - it is still just as mild as before, has not worsened - but now realize that once again, living alone as I do, with next to no social support structure around me (ie few people to talk to when I get down etc, or, few that I would feel willing to impose on like that), I don't know what else will work as well as this forum, in helping me once again abstain totally from tobacco for a set period of time. But it's a little different this time.

The support I got last time was tremendous and necessary to keep going. But this time around, I do not need so much support. I know this territory, I know I can do it. All I really need is evidence that this topic has been viewed by at least one other member (via a reply). As far as I'm concerned, that will 'lock in' the commitment from my side because as I've said previously, my sense of pride is greater than my desire to smoke. Once even one other member has read my publicly stated promise (resolve), and a reply has been made, I will feel a very strong reluctance to go back on it. So, it is enough that this topic merely exists, and that it is viewed by a few or many, but please don't think I need all the encouragement I received last time around (grateful though I was for it :smile: ).

Will I feel some regret (in the next week mostly) for having set this up again? Probably. But I am of sound mind and this is for my own good. Living as socially isolated as this, I'm afraid that the DW community is the only viable place where I can get this done, and really giving up this crap for good is what I always intend, but I'm a bit sick of the desire 'c'mon let's do it just one last time, and from tomorrow we'll never do it again'. That thought is utterly useless and false. We can never give up tomorrow, only today.

It is Thursday 11th April, the time here is 1 pm. I hereby resolve, before the Dhamma Wheel community, that I will not smoke at all for 20 full days and nights, beginning from this moment. Once a single reply has been made, I will regard this promise as being binding. If I break it. I promise to admit this here, in this topic.

Thank you all for reading this,

manas :anjali:
Last edited by manas on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Reductor

Re: A resolve

Post by Reductor »

You got this, bro! You got this. (don't make me regret this vote of confidence, now ;) )

:twothumbsup:
manas

Post by manas »

Reductor wrote:You got this, bro! You got this. (don't make me regret this vote of confidence, now ;) )

Hahaha, yes you were quick! I've done it now...

by the way, the 'edit' I did was merely to 'embolden' the important bit, no words were altered! The 20 day time limit was chosen because it is double what I did last time.

Thank you for your prompt reply, friend. I'm actually looking forward to the next two weeks (that is not to say there won't be some discomfort; there will be, but that's natural and it's fitting; it's cause and effect. If we put crap in to our body, we should not be surprised if it hurts a bit on the way out again). It is MUCH easier to abstain using this system, than trying to do it alone. It's a bit like that system where, in a monastery if you break a rule, you have to confess it, and I heard that this makes it easier to keep to all the rules.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
manas

Post by manas »

This clip depicts tolerance of pain more extreme than what I'm in for, but I'm putting it here for my inspiration:

:thumbsup:
Last edited by manas on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
karunametta

Post by karunametta »

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Keep on keeping on Manas

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
manas

Post by manas »

polarbuddha101 wrote:Keep on keeping on Manas

Thanks polar.

You really are all a good bunch of people. Dhamma friends are the best!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

manas wrote:But this time around, I do not need so much support. I know this territory, I know I can do it. All I really need is evidence that this topic has been viewed by at least one other member (via a reply).
:thumbsup: You can do it.

"Do or do not; there is no try"
Master Yoda
manas

Post by manas »

David N. Snyder wrote:
manas wrote:But this time around, I do not need so much support. I know this territory, I know I can do it. All I really need is evidence that this topic has been viewed by at least one other member (via a reply).
:thumbsup: You can do it.

"Do or do not; there is no try"
Master Yoda

My allay is the Dhamma Wheel Forum (well, also dark chocolate, pizza, and other occasional comfort foods)

manas

Post by manas »

karunametta wrote::anjali:
thank you
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Roland

Post by Roland »

I'm excited for you doing this :!:

Looking forward to your success.
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Try Not. Do or do not. There is no try.
-Master Yoda

Don't try to quit smoking. Just be a non-smoker.
-Mojo

:namaste:
manas

Post by manas »

Roland wrote:I'm excited for you doing this :!:

Looking forward to your success.
Thanks for your kind words.

manas

Post by manas »

A big thank you :thanks: to everyone who has replied, and in advance to anyone who replies after this post :smile: (in case I miss replying to them straight away)

I say this because quite enough members have viewed & commented already that I once again feel 'bound' by this resolve now. For those dear members who have already commented, the best thing to do would be, check back again in 20 days, when I will definitely made the final report. Until then I might not reply so much to this topic, because I find it uncomfortable to feel like the centre of attention, even when all I'm getting is this wonderful and kind support, I still feel like drifting gracefully back to obscurity. Rest assured the pressure is on, and that's good. My pride is greater than my desire to smoke, so it's highly unlikely I would break this resolve.

metta :anjali: