Who wants to make a trip to Amaravati monastery in U.K.?

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
nekete

Who wants to make a trip to Amaravati monastery in U.K.?

Post by nekete »

Hi everybody...

I'd like to visit Amaravati monastery but I don't have a car and I think going by bus or train must be a little complicated because of the timetable and a little expensive. So I've been thinking that it would be fantastic if someone would have a car and would like to go and visit the place sharing the cost of the petrol. If there would be more people it would be still more fantastic... and cheaper. :)

Anyone?

I'm living in Dunstable/Luton area.
torqz

Re: Who wants to make a trip to Amaravati monastery in U.K.?

Post by torqz »

Why don't you cycle its only 10 miles :-) :tongue:
May the triple gem bless bless you, may you quickly realize the 4 noble truths in this Gautama Buddhas dispensation... Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu!
nekete

Post by nekete »

PeDr0 wrote:Why don't you cycle its only 10 miles :-) :tongue:
Wow, it's true, I've checked it on google maps. I don't know why I've been always thinking that the monastery was very far away to go on a bike or walking. I thought it was more than 20 km from I'm living.

Thank you so much, it's a very happy news for me :) I can go with the bike. And in the summer it's just three hours walking, a nice walk.

Well, anyway, if there is somebody who wants to go we could organize a visit.
torqz

Post by torqz »

Wow its a long walk!

But not so bad by bicycle or public transport I would think.. or a combination of the 2, I often take my bike on the train these days..Perhaps you could ask to stay over at Amarvati? Good luck in your endeavours!! I live in Essex, maybee I will see you there one day :)
May the triple gem bless bless you, may you quickly realize the 4 noble truths in this Gautama Buddhas dispensation... Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu!
nekete

Post by nekete »

Hello... I finally went to Amaravati Monastery on my bike. It's only one hour and twenty minutes. If it's not raining it's okay but when the rain season arrives I think I should have to stop going there.

I'm volunteering in the library and I use to go about three or four days a week, so if some of you go try to contact me... if you want :) Saturdays are the days (if it's not raining) that I'm there for sure.

See you.
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

I've been researching how to get there by train & walking.

For the last part of the journey, I guess using the "amaravati directions" is a good idea?

http://www.amaravati.org/about_us/getti ... swerid1946

Would taking the train to Berkhamsted and walking along Nettleden Road until I hit the "amaravati directions" be the shortest/easiest route?

- Metta
- Mal
- Mal
torqz

Post by torqz »

I'm going to Amaravati this Friday all being well if anyone wants to meet up? :shrug:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

if you look on google maps for a route at the crossroads on leighton buzzard rd where you turn up to go to amaravati you can get to (and from) luton by going straight over instead of via hemel hempstead, and I think it is a much nicer scenery.
but the bus route is not difficult and a walk from Hemel is quite nice. although busses from Hemel to the monastery are infrequent.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill