equanimity anyway beeing attacked?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
villkorkarma

equanimity anyway beeing attacked?

Post by villkorkarma »

thus one have reached equanimity can that person be fysical attacked?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Polar Bear

Re: equanimity anyway beeing attacked?

Post by Polar Bear »

An equanimous person may indeed be attacked. Even some arahants (Angulimala and Moggallana) got beat up back in the Buddha's day due to the ripening of bad kamma.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

villkorkarma wrote:thus one have reached equanimity can that person be fysical attacked?
if you are equanimous you are equanimous. you can still be assaulted, they don't negate each other.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

villkorkarma wrote:thus one have reached equanimity can that person be fysical attacked?
I think you are referring to this very advanced meditative state which renders one immune from physical attack, is that it? I can recall reading about it once, but I don't remember which one it was. In any case one was only safe while sitting in that state I think, but not while walking around during the day, etc. (if memory serves me correctly). It was only temporary physical protection.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.