YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Stress in modern life - Dhamma Wheel

Stress in modern life

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Beneath the Wheel

Stress in modern life

Postby Beneath the Wheel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello everyone. I have found a great deal of peace through the Dhamma, and it has had a remarkable impact on my ability to deal with the stresses of daily life.

My girlfriend, unfortunately, has quite a bit of difficulty with stress. Setbacks during the day (traffic, interruptions of routine, events beyond our control) have a huge effect on her, sometimes driving her to tears. She recently mentioned that she admired my ability to take these things in stride, and I asked if she would be willing to listen to a Dhamma talk or read something that might explain my perspective on these things.

Does anyone have a favorite Dhamma talk or some relatively short piece of writing that takes on this subject? She comes from a fairly strict Christian background, and while she doesn't practice any longer and is very open-minded, I don't think she is in a place where she'd be willing to practice meditation. Listening to a talk or two is about as close as I can get to sharing the Dhamma with her, which is fine. If anyone has an recommendations I'd love to hear them.

befriend

Re: Stress in modern life

Postby befriend » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 pm

tell her to relax and pay attention to the color of the car in front of her or the feeling of the air conditioner. relaxing is a great way to come back to reality, when we are stressed our bodies get rigid so relaxing the body will counter stress. ive heard patience descibed not as gritting ones teeth to get through something, but when something stressful comes up just relaxing and paying attention to whats right in front of us. check out dharmaseed.org they have a lot of buddhist talks. remind her that all of her stress originates in her head not outside, i love it when im in the car and someone is driving slow, it gives me an opportunity to practice patience, and patience is the path to nibanna.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:50 am

I just finished reading the book “The art of living” by S.N Goenka for the second time in four weeks.
Great book to read. :reading:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:33 am

Ajahn Brahm gave a great talk about how to deal with stress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZvrIUmUbqw

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:33 am

Ajahn Bram talks seconded! There are many of his talks on youtube.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Beneath the Wheel

Postby Beneath the Wheel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will pass that talk along.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”