Vulture's Peak & Surrounding Environment/Iti. 1.24

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
danieLion

Vulture's Peak & Surrounding Environment/Iti. 1.24

Post by danieLion »

In his note to his translation of Itivuttaka 1.24 and commenting on the "mountain ring" that surrounds Vulture's Peak, Thanissaro says,
Magadha was a kingdom in the time of the Buddha, corresponding roughly to the present day state of Bihar. Its capital city, Rajagaha, was surrounded by a ring of five mountains. Vulture's Peak, a secluded rock outcrop in the middle of the ring, was a spot frequented by the Buddha.
I can't find any maps online that show "a ring of five mountains" with "Vulture's Peak...in the middle of the ring."

Anyone know where I can find one?

Much obliged.
drifting cloud

Re: Vulture's Peak & Surrounding Environment/Iti. 1.24

Post by drifting cloud »

You could try looking up "Vulture Peak" on Wikipedia:

Griddhraj Parvat

And then noting that there is also a "Vulture Peak" in the modern state of Bihar, near the city of Rajgir (formerly the capital of Magadha). Punch in the coordinates 25.0019812°N 85.4467034°E from Wiki Atlas to Google Maps and:

Vulture Peak Location
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

drifting cloud wrote:You could try looking up "Vulture Peak" on Wikipedia:

Griddhraj Parvat

And then noting that there is also a "Vulture Peak" in the modern state of Bihar, near the city of Rajgir (formerly the capital of Magadha). Punch in the coordinates 25.0019812°N 85.4467034°E from Wiki Atlas to Google Maps and:

Vulture Peak Location
Thanks. That's a little better, but I don't see the five peaks. Do know what they are?
drifting cloud

Post by drifting cloud »

danieLion wrote:

Griddhraj Parvat

Vulture Peak Location
Thanks. That's a little better, but I don't see the five peaks. Do know what they are?
No, although as you can see from the Google Maps image it is surrounded by a range of other mountains, so it must be five of those.

If you are that interested I suggest traveling to India and looking for them yourself.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

drifting cloud wrote:
danieLion wrote:

Griddhraj Parvat

Vulture Peak Location
No, although as you can see from the Google Maps image it is surrounded by a range of other mountains, so it must be five of those.

If you are that interested I suggest traveling to India and looking for them yourself.

I so want to. :broke: Also, I see those mountain ranges and assumed the peaks are in them. I'm just trying to figure out if the still exist "by name" as they did in the Buddha's time.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Daniel,

Many of us have had the inestimable good fortune to visit Vulture's Peak during Pilgrimages.

I wouldn't describe the hills as 'mountains' - you walk to the top to get to Vulture's Peak. The Seven Hills are called Vaibhara, Ratna, Saila, Sona, Udaya, Chhatha, and Vipula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajgir

Search in Google Images on Vultures Peak and you will get hundreds of images.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

cooran wrote:Hello Daniel,

Many of us have had the inestimable good fortune to visit Vulture's Peak during Pilgrimages.

I wouldn't describe the hills as 'mountains' - you walk to the top to get to Vulture's Peak. The Seven Hills are called Vaibhara, Ratna, Saila, Sona, Udaya, Chhatha, and Vipula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajgir

Search in Google Images on Vultures Peak and you will get hundreds of images.

with metta
Chris
Thanks a bunch, Chris. VP's not literally surrounded by them as I imagined. Do you know which of five out of the seven corresponds the five in Thanissaro's note?
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Daniel,

Sometimes they are listed as 5 hills - sometimes as 7 hills. The names have changed back and forward over time.

Mentions 7 hills
http://wikitravel.org/en/Rajgir

Mentions 5 hills
http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10. ... 3120304615

with metta,
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Fantastic. Thanks agan, Chris. I've got to log off, but I'll look at them later.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Daniel, all,

Very short video (44 seconds) showing Vulture's Peak and (towards the end) the surrounding hills.

Buddhists on Gridhakuta Rajgir's Vulture's Peak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4wRvwtjErk

with metta
Chris
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Best view yet. Much obliged, Chris. I counted 6 maybe 7.