Theravada and Prasangika

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Beautiful Breath

Theravada and Prasangika

Post by Beautiful Breath »

Hi,

I shifted from the Gelug school in the Tibetan tradition to the Theravada for many reason not least being the wearisome bickering going on. Least said the better I guess......

However, I don't agree particularly with everything I read in the Abbhidhamma. My philosophical view is still that of the Prasangikas.

Do you perceive this as a problem if I am to pursue the Theravadin path?

BB...
convivium

Re: Theravada and Prasangika

Post by convivium »

you could throw out abhidhamma altogether and not have a problem.
Last edited by convivium on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Apparently there is difference between Abhidhamma and the Abhidhamma commentarial interpretation. So in one view, it depends which you have a problem with.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Beautiful Breath wrote:Hi,

I shifted from the Gelug school in the Tibetan tradition to the Theravada for many reason not least being the wearisome bickering going on. Least said the better I guess......

However, I don't agree particularly with everything I read in the Abbhidhamma. My philosophical view is still that of the Prasangikas.

Do you perceive this as a problem if I am to pursue the Theravadin path?

BB...
No problem percieved.
There can be contrasting views derived from the texts depending what one finds important, so don't worry yourself.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Nyorai

Post by Nyorai »

Abbhidhamma and Prasangikas are basically the same. It enlightened the details and breakdown of body and mind and its true emptiness. And for this lifetime to achieve remarkable result, practice Theravada and the ultimate goal to be realized in Pureland Amitabha. This would enable the Buddhism community as a whole in one supra progress and true achievement, and there will be no disharmony interpretation in sects differences. And setting your ultimate goal for pureland can be explained as in the term of relative and reality :group:
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image