If you couldn't be a Buddhist, what would you be?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
LonesomeYogurt

Re: If you couldn't be a Buddhist, what would you be?

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

A jerk, probably.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Benjamin wrote:Like the title says, if you weren't a Buddhist, which tradition or religion/philosophy would you follow? (for example Daoism, Atheism, etc.)
I'd be a pagan as I like nature, stone circles and dressing up... :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Aloka wrote:
if you weren't a Buddhist, which tradition or religion/philosophy would you follow
I didn't follow any tradition, religion or philosophy before I was a Buddhist - so it would still be the same.

On second thoughts....maybe in a parallel universe I'd invent my own religion, sit on a high throne in exotic robes as its queen... and have people prostrating to me, feeding me strawberries and icecream and begging me for my wisdom teachings .... whilst I blessed them on their heads with my dessert bowl, as they filed past my high queeniness in an orderly line.

:mrgreen:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Benjamin wrote:
Sam Vara wrote:
Like the title says, if you weren't a Buddhist, which tradition or religion/philosophy would you follow? (for example Daoism, Atheism, etc.)
If I could, I'd be a Christian.

You still can be. Could you explain?
I mean that you have to believe things that I seem to be incapable of believing, and see the world in a way that I cannot. If I could get over those little hurdles, I would be attracted to the following.

The sense of complete and immediate salvation granted as an act of grace, and with no reservations or sense of it being deserved.
A link to a strong literary and musical culture that I grew up with, but have never fully been a part of.
A deeper understanding of some of the most impressive people that I have met, who claimed to be Christians.

These things would be nice; and this choice is a way of honouring a religion which I generally find to be benign and accepting.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
LonesomeYogurt wrote:A jerk, probably.
:D

My answer would be similar to Aloka's but the question is inherently conflicted, because it allows for "the hindsight" that comes from Buddhism, yet doesn't allow one to accept Buddhism as one's view.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Taosim
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Benjamin

What traditions did you explore before becoming a Buddhist?

Post by Benjamin »

Good point Retro, I've actually changed the topic a bit to suit that. What other philosophies or religions caught your attention before fully accepting the Buddha's teachings? I know many of us were raised Christian, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it wasn't the quickest journey from there to here.

Personally I explored Daoism quite a bit. I appreciated many of it's sayings and philosophies, but all the major one's that stuck with me ended up being part of the Buddha's teachings anyway. Also Vedanta, particularly Adi Shankara and Ramana Maharshi.

Thanks,
Benjamin
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I was born to Buddhist parents but as majority Buddhist, my knowledge was restricted to five precepts. (I did not follow them) However the following questions always bothered me.
- Who am I?
- Why I am her?
- What is the purpose of my life?
So I started reading self development books, study five major religions and other philosophies. Aabout ten years ago one of my Islamic friends gave me the hard copy of the following and I came to the realisation of Anatta!
Since I became a Buddhist again. :)
Answer to your question: If I didn’t become a Buddhist I still will be looking for the answers to my three questions.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

SarathW wrote:I was born to Buddhist parents but as majority Buddhist, my knowledge was restricted to five precepts. (I did not follow them) However the following questions always bothered me.
- Who am I?
- Why I am her?
- What is the purpose of my life?
So I started reading self development books, study five major religions and other philosophies. Aabout ten years ago one of my Islamic friends gave me the hard copy of the following and I came to the realisation of Anatta!
Since I became a Buddhist again. :)
Answer to your question: If I didn’t become a Buddhist I still will be looking for the answers to my three questions.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that your Muslim friend brought you back to Buddhism, how interesting.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
alan...

Post by alan... »

if i had a reset on my background and was raised secular and buddhism didn't exist, then i would go hindu! fun stuff in that religion. lot's of parallels with buddhism. you get to meditate into probably some of the same blissful states but instead of discarding the bliss you get to believe it's union with god! totally sweet and way more rewarding than buddhism in an instant gratification kind of way. i find buddhism to be the most rewarding out there but i wish i could hold onto some of my attainments sometimes instead of just seeing everything as empty and looking for nibbana. in hinduism every little good thing can be kept as a gift from god instead of denied as another thing to let go of. but i would be doing a lot of the same stuff. so i would enter jhana and enjoy my gift from god instead of trying to make sure i don't attach to it and make sure i see it as not self and so on. do a bunch of nice things and imagine going to heaven to live with god because of my merit after death forever, instead of trying not to make merit for kammic reasons but just to do it anyway but selflessly with no intention behind it.

i find buddhism to be unbeatable and i could never do this, hence the need for a background reset. the only way i could enjoy things like i described would be to have no knowledge or memory of buddhism. as it is i find it to be completely and utterly correct that one should let go of everything and always seek the final attainment. not being buddhist isn't even an option for me.

however with my current background i will never go with a deeply faith based religious tradition. i was raised religious and the practical, self sustaining system of buddhism is the only thing i can work with as it works whether you believe in all of it or not! the methods and practices simply keep the mind healthy and strong. if it required my devotion to the buddha as a personal entity or something i couldn't get into that.

if i am still me with my knowledge and background, but the buddha shows up at my door and is like "uh... hey man... turns out i was wrong and... uh... i'm kind of going door to door and letting everyone know... you should just forget buddhism and go with something else. sorry..." (this is pretty much the only way i would quit buddhism :tongue: )

i would immediately jump into taoism! fun stuff there as well. really beautiful. i love zen and zen shares a lot with taoism so it would be a perfect fit. the image of foggy mountains and trees and getting back to nature is so wonderful.
Last edited by alan... on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Other than Buddhism, I like philosophies like Stoicism, but they don't deal with the other worldly dimension the way traditional religions do. Of the formal religions other than Buddhism I like Daoism and Jainism.

Jainism is especially similar to Theravada and perhaps Daoism is closer to Mahayana.

I admire the ahimsa of Jainism, in their efforts to avoid all violence. I could probably handle the Jain diet okay since I am mostly vegan anyway. But I don't like their concepts of karma (kamma), nirvana (nibbana), atta, or their extremism, including nudity.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

I'd be a discordian priest... oh wait, wait, wait I already am a discordian priest... not... or am I?
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
convivium

Post by convivium »

buddhism is so broad that i think it contains everything else in one way or another.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I'd be a Philosopher, whereas now I'd rather be a Sage.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

alan... wrote:(...)
if i am still me with my knowledge and background, but the buddha shows up at my door and is like "uh... hey man... turns out i was wrong and... uh... i'm kind of going door to door and letting everyone know... you should just forget buddhism and go with something else. sorry..." (this is pretty much the only way i would quit buddhism :tongue: )
(...)
"if you see the Buddha on the street, kill him"