A Couple of Questions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
IanAnd

Re: A Couple of Questions

Post by IanAnd »

Heaviside wrote:
IanAnd wrote:
Sam Vara wrote: I think it is recognised by a faculty, or ability, called discernment, or wisdom. It isn't really located anywhere, in the way that a physical thing is. (It is - in this sense alone - rather like a sense of self, or a mood, or an abstract quality. One can't give co-ordinates for it.) But is is related to other things that we can identify, in that it arises under certain conditions, and is associated with other definite feelings, etc. which is probably the closest we can get to saying "where" it is located.
Sam is on the right track here (as well as pegembara's reply). The reason I highlight Sam's response is because he hints at the defining realization of which one needs to become apprised. And that is the teaching on dependent co-arising (or paticcasamuppada).
By the way, where in the Arizona desert are you! My wife and I just returned from Yuma, where we winter. I really enjoy hiking in the desert (during the winter, for sure!).
You were in my backyard. North Foothills.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV