Chinese spam

Includes our Terms Of Service (please read first)

Chinese spam

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:26 am

This might be of interest. If one goes to the member section memberlist.php the last page, as of this writing, is 277, and looking at page 277 and working forward one will see what are almost exclusively, for pages, Chinese spammers. From what I understand is that this is not the result of bots; rather, it is the result of human drones at work. This is the Chinese spammers trying gain a toe-hold in order to come back at a later date to dump their spam. Mostly it seems to be done with a few spam msgs now and then, but there was an incident several months ago when the forum was very much under attack by the spammers with multiple msgs over several hours time.

That might happen again, and we will try to stop it as quickly as we can. In the meantime, as the spammers logon, they are being blocked both by name and IP, though that is something of a finger in the dike.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Re: Chinese spam

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am

tiltbillings wrote:Chinese spammers.

http://www.epicure.me.uk/spamsketch.html
Mrs. Bun: Have you got anything without spam in it?
Waitress: Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.
Spiny Norman

Postby manas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:06 am

I would not eat Internet Spam.
I do not like it, Sam-I-am.
manas

Postby plwk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 am

Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby James the Giant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 am

Wow there are sooo many. How many, a few hundred?
Poor people, I wonder how much they are paid for this work.
Have the site admins got any clever solutions?
Best wishes.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Thank you for your admin efforts :)
Also i had no idea there was garlic spam, culinary adventure awaits :pig:
There is no comfort without pain; thus
we define salvation through suffering.
-- Cato
m0rl0ck

Postby James the Giant » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:52 am

I wonder, if this site was somehow tagged with Tiananmen Square Massacre, Falun Gong or Falun Dafa, Free Tibet, Dalai Lama, Communism, Counterrevolution, Democracy, Dissident, Human Rights, etc etc, if it would get blocked by the Great Firewall of China, and thus be inaccessible to sweat-shop spammers based there.
Hmm, would also be inaccessible to regular chinese folk too though.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Mojo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 am

This is the best way to have spam!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi
Mojo

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:16 am

tiltbillings wrote:This might be of interest. If one goes to the member section memberlist.php the last page, as of this writing, is 277, and looking at page 277 and working forward one will see what are almost exclusively, for pages, Chinese spammers. From what I understand is that this is not the result of bots; rather, it is the result of human drones at work. This is the Chinese spammers trying gain a toe-hold in order to come back at a later date to dump their spam. Mostly it seems to be done with a few spam msgs now and then, but there was an incident several months ago when the forum was very much under attack by the spammers with multiple msgs over several hours time.

That might happen again, and we will try to stop it as quickly as we can. In the meantime, as the spammers logon, they are being blocked both by name and IP, though that is something of a finger in the dike.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

:goodpost:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby manas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:36 am

:)
manas

Postby James the Giant » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 am

I'm inspired to buy some spam and make that hawaiian thing. Or spam and eggs.
Is spam really as nasty as I remember? Hmm...

Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby manas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 am

James the Giant wrote:I'm inspired to buy some spam and make that hawaiian thing. Or spam and eggs.
Is spam really as nasty as I remember? Hmm...

Once I had run out of cat food, and I was not able to go to the shops. I found a tin of Spam in the cupboard (that I had been given by a charity). Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff, but my cat absolutely loved it, and she's quite a fussy eater. Not so bad then, maybe? :shrug:

:P
manas

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:09 am

Yes James it really is nasty.
When one of my co-students indicated that when it was his turn to cook on camp he said he would bring spam.
We told him if he did so he would end up on the menu.

On a more serious note, I just want to publicly acknowledge the work of Tilt and some of our other staff members who have been tirelessly eliminating spam accounts. Without whose efforts, we would be drowning in spam.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby manas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:27 am

Ben wrote:On a more serious note, I just want to publicly acknowledge the work of Tilt and some of our other staff members who have been tirelessly eliminating spam accounts. Without whose efforts, we would be drowning in spam.
kind regards,

Ben

Sometimes we ordinary members don't realise (or forget) how much goes on behind the scenes to keep Dhamma Wheel not only going, but a nice clean place to visit. So, yes a big thank you to Tilt, and to all involved.

:thanks:
manas

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 pm

manas wrote:
Ben wrote:On a more serious note, I just want to publicly acknowledge the work of Tilt and some of our other staff members who have been tirelessly eliminating spam accounts. Without whose efforts, we would be drowning in spam.
kind regards,

Ben

Sometimes we ordinary members don't realise (or forget) how much goes on behind the scenes to keep Dhamma Wheel not only going, but a nice clean place to visit. So, yes a big thank you to Tilt, and to all involved.

:goodpost: (and this time it's not a childish joke :) )
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm

manas wrote:
kind regards,

Ben

And thank you for the kind words. It is a team effort.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Mojo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm

James the Giant wrote:I'm inspired to buy some spam and make that hawaiian thing. Or spam and eggs.

I'm not a big fan of the original, because I think it's to salty, but I do like the reduced sodium, lite, and turkey varieties. The stuff is kind of expensive now so if I buy a can once every few years, I'm ok. Turkey spam and over easy eggs is pretty boss!
Mojo

Postby Dmytro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Tilt,

Thank you for your work.

tiltbillings wrote:That might happen again, and we will try to stop it as quickly as we can. In the meantime, as the spammers logon, they are being blocked both by name and IP, though that is something of a finger in the dike.

I faced such a problem when I maintained PhpBB forum.

Eventually I converted the forum to SMF, with KeyCAPTCHA mod, and now I am free as a wind.

It's available for PhpBB as well: https://www.keycaptcha.com/captcha-for-cms/

For additional security, I use CrawlProtect.

:anjali:
Dmytro

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Dmytro wrote:Hi Tilt,

Thank you for your work.

tiltbillings wrote:That might happen again, and we will try to stop it as quickly as we can. In the meantime, as the spammers logon, they are being blocked both by name and IP, though that is something of a finger in the dike.

I faced such a problem when I maintained PhpBB forum.

Eventually I converted the forum to SMF, with KeyCAPTCHA mod, and now I am free as a wind.

It's available for PhpBB as well: https://www.keycaptcha.com/captcha-for-cms/

For additional security, I use CrawlProtect.

:anjali:

I cant speak for anyone else, but i absolutely despise those captcha things. Half the time i cant read them.
There is no comfort without pain; thus
we define salvation through suffering.
-- Cato
m0rl0ck

Postby Dmytro » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 am

Hi m0rl0ck,

m0rl0ck wrote:I cant speak for anyone else, but i absolutely despise those captcha things. Half the time i cant read them.

The textual captcha has a lot of shortcomings. This thing is different, it's visual.
Dmytro

Next

Return to Announcements