Chinese spam

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
tiltbillings

Chinese spam

Post by tiltbillings »

This might be of interest. If one goes to the member section http://www.dhammawheel.com/memberlist.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the last page, as of this writing, is 277, and looking at page 277 and working forward one will see what are almost exclusively, for pages, Chinese spammers. From what I understand is that this is not the result of bots; rather, it is the result of human drones at work. This is the Chinese spammers trying gain a toe-hold in order to come back at a later date to dump their spam. Mostly it seems to be done with a few spam msgs now and then, but there was an incident several months ago when the forum was very much under attack by the spammers with multiple msgs over several hours time.

That might happen again, and we will try to stop it as quickly as we can. In the meantime, as the spammers logon, they are being blocked both by name and IP, though that is something of a finger in the dike.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Spiny Norman

Re: Chinese spam

Post by Spiny Norman »

tiltbillings wrote:Chinese spammers.
http://www.epicure.me.uk/spamsketch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buddha save me from new-agers!
manas

Post by manas »

I would not eat Internet Spam.
I do not like it, Sam-I-am.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
plwk

Post by plwk »

James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Wow there are sooo many. How many, a few hundred?
Poor people, I wonder how much they are paid for this work.
Have the site admins got any clever solutions?
Best wishes.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Thank you for your admin efforts :)
Also i had no idea there was garlic spam, culinary adventure awaits :pig:
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
James the Giant

I wonder, if this site was somehow tagged with Tiananmen Square Massacre, Falun Gong or Falun Dafa, Free Tibet, Dalai Lama, Communism, Counterrevolution, Democracy, Dissident, Human Rights, etc etc, if it would get blocked by the Great Firewall of China, and thus be inaccessible to sweat-shop spammers based there.
Hmm, would also be inaccessible to regular chinese folk too though.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

This is the best way to have spam!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

tiltbillings wrote:This might be of interest. If one goes to the member section http://www.dhammawheel.com/memberlist.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the last page, as of this writing, is 277, and looking at page 277 and working forward one will see what are almost exclusively, for pages, Chinese spammers. From what I understand is that this is not the result of bots; rather, it is the result of human drones at work. This is the Chinese spammers trying gain a toe-hold in order to come back at a later date to dump their spam. Mostly it seems to be done with a few spam msgs now and then, but there was an incident several months ago when the forum was very much under attack by the spammers with multiple msgs over several hours time.

That might happen again, and we will try to stop it as quickly as we can. In the meantime, as the spammers logon, they are being blocked both by name and IP, though that is something of a finger in the dike.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
:goodpost:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
manas

Post by manas »

:)
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
James the Giant

I'm inspired to buy some spam and make that hawaiian thing. Or spam and eggs.
Is spam really as nasty as I remember? Hmm...

Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
manas

Post by manas »

James the Giant wrote:I'm inspired to buy some spam and make that hawaiian thing. Or spam and eggs.
Is spam really as nasty as I remember? Hmm...
Once I had run out of cat food, and I was not able to go to the shops. I found a tin of Spam in the cupboard (that I had been given by a charity). Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff, but my cat absolutely loved it, and she's quite a fussy eater. Not so bad then, maybe? :shrug:

:P
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes James it really is nasty.
When one of my co-students indicated that when it was his turn to cook on camp he said he would bring spam.
We told him if he did so he would end up on the menu.

On a more serious note, I just want to publicly acknowledge the work of Tilt and some of our other staff members who have been tirelessly eliminating spam accounts. Without whose efforts, we would be drowning in spam.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

Ben wrote: On a more serious note, I just want to publicly acknowledge the work of Tilt and some of our other staff members who have been tirelessly eliminating spam accounts. Without whose efforts, we would be drowning in spam.
kind regards,

Ben
Sometimes we ordinary members don't realise (or forget) how much goes on behind the scenes to keep Dhamma Wheel not only going, but a nice clean place to visit. So, yes a big thank you to Tilt, and to all involved.

:thanks:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

manas wrote:
Ben wrote: On a more serious note, I just want to publicly acknowledge the work of Tilt and some of our other staff members who have been tirelessly eliminating spam accounts. Without whose efforts, we would be drowning in spam.
kind regards,

Ben
Sometimes we ordinary members don't realise (or forget) how much goes on behind the scenes to keep Dhamma Wheel not only going, but a nice clean place to visit. So, yes a big thank you to Tilt, and to all involved.

:thanks:
:goodpost: (and this time it's not a childish joke :) )
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta