what to do when i'm dying?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nyorai

Re: what to do when i'm dying?

Post by Nyorai »

you may refer abhidhamma piṭaka for the answer :anjali:
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Hi Manas,

The talk is not specifically about his practice, but he mentions it, including death meditation, towards the beginning of the talk titled :

2011-10-16 Mindfulness According to Early Buddhist Sources
http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/439/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it was interesting that he uses body part meditation in the morning sensing into his skin, then flesh, then bones. He also uses metta during the day, since he is an anger type who had serious anger issues before becoming a monk. Its a different type of metta, however, where you don't use discursive thought, or phrases but rather create a benevolent feeling and then stay focused on the feeling itself.
alan...

Post by alan... »

Kamran wrote:In the below talk Bikhu Analayo, the author of the great Satipatthana book, mentions that he visualizes his own death right before he goes to sleep every night.

Inspired by Analayo, I have been experimenting with visualizing my last moments, as well as meditating in a cemetery by my house. Surprisingly, this seemingly morbid practice has caused me to feel strong mudita (appreciative joy) for all of us that get to experience a human life.

Below is my understanding of the typical last few days of life:

1)You begin to withdraw from others.
2)You are usually sleeping, or unconscious.
3) Then your muscles relax and you become incontinent.
4)Then your nails, and lips turn blue and face becomes sunken;
5) Liquids build up in your throat and lungs causing your breathing to sound gargled, otherwise knows as the "death rattle".
6) Your breathing slows down to one breath every 30 seconds or so for a little while, and finally you take your last breath and peacefully let go.

Analayo talk:
http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/439/talk/14214/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
makes sense. it's one of the ascetic practices allowed by the buddha, living in a cemetery that is. and contemplation of death is found in many places in the tipitaka. thanks for sharing. perhaps i will start visualizing my own death before bed too!
manas

Post by manas »

Kamran wrote:Hi Manas,

The talk is not specifically about his practice, but he mentions it, including death meditation, towards the beginning of the talk titled :

2011-10-16 Mindfulness According to Early Buddhist Sources
http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/439/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it was interesting that he uses body part meditation in the morning sensing into his skin, then flesh, then bones. He also uses metta during the day, since he is an anger type who had serious anger issues before becoming a monk. Its a different type of metta, however, where you don't use discursive thought, or phrases but rather create a benevolent feeling and then stay focused on the feeling itself.
Ah, I get it now. Thanks

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.