The heart as the physical base of the mind?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nori

Re: The heart as the physical base of the mind?

Post by Nori »

"Mind" is a western conception/word/symbol and maybe the closest idea we have to the Pali citta.

In the Pali Text Society dictionary we have:

Citta2 (nt.) [Sk. citta, orig. pp. of cinteti, cit, cp. yutta> yuñjati, mutta>muñcati. On etym. from cit. see cinteti].
I. Meaning: the heart (psychologically), i. e. the centre & focus of man's emotional nature as well as that intellectual element which inheres in & accompanies its manifestations; i. e. thought. In this wise citta denotes both the agent & that which is enacted (see kamma II. introd.), for in Indian Psychology citta is the seat & organ of thought ...(snip)

What is interesting in this definition is that 'thought' can be viewed as an accompaniment or manifestation of Citta (the heart). (Maybe not the physical 'heart' which we know with the valves, and muscles and such, but a 'mental' (for lack of a word), place/thing.)
SarathW

Re: The heart as the physical base of the mind?

Post by SarathW »

Hi Nori
I see your point. :)
The way I understand is mind is arising as a result of the physical base. They are not two different things. Fire is not stored in the match stick or gunpowder the same way consciousness is arising due to Rupa. They are inter-dependent. Personality view (wrong view) comes due to not understanding this fact. ( the thought the mind is separate from the body)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”