Pali: Du Sa Na So

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
yawares

Pali: Du Sa Na So

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

My dear friend Dr.Han Tun gave this article to me with Pali:

Here is another story about the sexual misconduct. It is the background story for Dhammapada Verse 60.

Meanwhile, King Pasenadii, obsessed with sexual desire, could not sleep, and kept thinking out how he would get rid of the husband in the morning and take his wife. At about midnight, he heard some eerie sounds; actually, these were the doleful voices of four persons suffering in Lohakumbhi Niraya . Hearing those weird voices, the king was terrified. Early in the morning, he went to the Buddha, as advised by Queen Mallikaa. When the Buddha was told about the four voices the king heard in the night, he explained to the king that those were the voices of four beings, who were the sons of rich men from Baaraa.nasii during the time of Kassapa Buddha, and that now they were suffering in Lohakumbhi Niraya because they had committed sexual misconduct with other peoples' wives.
-------
Lohakumbhi Niraya is described in MN 130 Devaduuta sutta as follows:

"Next the wardens of hell take him feet up and head down and plunge him into a red-hot metal cauldron, burning, blazing and glowing. He is cooked there in a swirl of froth. And as he is being cooked there in a swirl of froth, he is swept now up, now down, and now across. There he feels painful, racking, piercing feelings. Yet he does not die so long as that evil action has not exhausted its result."
--------------------
It took the four men from Baaraa.nasii who were suffering in Lohakumbhi Niraya, 30,000 years to be swept slowing in the swirl of froth of red-hot metal to reach the bottom of the cauldron, and another 30,000 years to be slowly swept up to the surface, where they could see each other for a fleeting moment. Each one wanted to speak a verse but before they could get past the first syllable they were sucked down gain. The four verses that the four men would like to speak started in Pali with "Du", "Sa", "Na" and "So". These four words were the ones heard by King Pasenadii.

The four verses that they wanted to speak were as follows:

(1) "Dujjiivitamajiivimha , ye sante na dadamhase;
Vijjamaanesu bhogesu, diipa.m naakamha attano."

[Although we had great wealth we did not give anything to other people. We did not do meritorious deeds that would have been our island of refuge. Instead, we had lived an evil live.]

Du: Dung-like life we lived,
No willingness to give,
Although we could have given much,
We did not make our refuge thus.

----------

(2) "Sa.t.thivassasahassaani, paripu.n.naani sabbaso;
Niraye paccamaanaana.m, kadaa anto bhavissati."

[We have been suffering in this hell for sixty thousand years. Without respite we had suffered. When will we finish our suffering?]

Sa: Say, the end is near?
Already 60,000 years have gone
Without respite the torture is
In this hell realm.

----------

(3) "Natthi anto kuto anto, na anto pa.tidissati;
Tadaa hi pakata.m papa.m, mama tuyha~nca maarisaa."

[O friends, for the evil things we had done, the sufferings have no end for you and me. When will it end? There is no end in sight for us.]

Na: Naught, no end near, Oh, would it end!
No end in sight for us.
Who once did misdeeds here
For me, for you, for both of us.

-----------

(4) "Soha.m nuuna ito gantvaa, yoni.m laddhaana maanusi.m;
Vada~n~nuu siilasampanno, kaahaami kusala.m bahu.m."

[When I am released from this hell and if I were to be reborn as a human being, I will listen to the wise people, and observe siila, and will do a lot of meritorious deeds.]

So: So, could I only leave this place
And raise myself to human realm,
I would be kind and moral too,
And do good deeds abundantly.

--------------------
Then, King Pasenadii Kosala came to realize the depravity of the deed and the severity of the punishment. So, he decided then and there that he would no longer covet another man's wife. "After all, it was on account of my intense desire for another man's wife that I was tormented and could not sleep the whole of last night," he reflected. Then the king said to the Buddha, "Venerable Sir, now I know how long the night is for one who cannot sleep." The young man who was close at hand also said, "Venerable Sir, because I had travelled the full distance of a yojana yesterday, I, too, know how long the journey of a yojana is to one who is weary."

Combing their two statements, the Buddha spoke in verse as follows:

Dhammapada Verse 60.

Diighaa jaagarato ratti,
diigha.m santassa yojana.m.
Diigho baalaana sa.msaaro,
saddhamma.m avijaanata.m.

Long is the night to one who is wakeful;
long is (the journey of) one yojana to the traveller who is tired;
long is samsara (round of rebirths) to the fool;
who is ignorant of the true Dhamma (the Teaching of the Buddha).

******* Please read "The King's Bad Burning Love" if you want to know the complete story!*******
:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/Dr.Han Tun :heart:
James the Giant

Re: Pali: Du Sa Na So

Post by James the Giant »

Yes, a horrible story! It is one of the most memorably horrifying Buddhist stories I've ever heard. :anjali:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Many thanks, yawares.

This is a very disturbing story but I am grateful for the context to the Dhammapada verses. We should all be grateful that we have the opportunity to learn from other people's mistakes, rather than learning from our own mistakes.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Sam Vara wrote:Many thanks, yawares.

This is a very disturbing story but I am grateful for the context to the Dhammapada verses. We should all be grateful that we have the opportunity to learn from other people's mistakes, rather than learning from our own mistakes.
Dear Sam Vara/James the Giant,

Yes yes so horrible/disturbing story indeed...that's why I was so scared !!

yawares