Legs falling asleep

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
LonesomeYogurt

Legs falling asleep

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Recently, my legs have been falling asleep earlier and earlier in my sitting, usually around the 10 minute mark. I've always struggled with my legs doing this when I sit in half-lotus, but it seems to be getting worse. Any tips for alleviating this? Or should I just grin and bear it?

To my knowledge, I am fairly flexible and I feel no pain or stress in my legs at all - just a dully painful numbness that can be very, very distracting. Is it a posture issue, or perhaps is it a sign that my buckwheat pillow is giving up the ghost?

Thanks for any help!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
UpwardBound

Re: Legs falling asleep

Post by UpwardBound »

I know this might not be an easy fix, but I used to experience this problem all the time. I got to the point that I just learned to ignore it and it was a daily experience...the leg would fall asleep to the point that I can't walk for a few minutes after meditation. I've recently lost weight, and now there is no 'falling asleep' in my leg unless my sit is much longer than my daily norm.
rohana

Post by rohana »

Have you tried the Burmese pose? I had/have the same problem with half-lotus and the Burmese pose seems to work for me. Sometimes I switch between the two from time to time.

The first part of this video shows some of the possible poses :

Orientation to Zen 01 - Zazen
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
troxet

Post by troxet »

this post helped me, http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; especially the last comment , now i seat on the edge of the cushion in a burmese style and i can meditate for longer periods of time.
I hope it also helps you