Walking meditation - automatic - on its own

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
reflection

Re: Walking meditation - automatic - on its own

Post by reflection »

The body is automatic, but so is the mind. Maybe your teacher wants you to also see that the noting comes automatically, I don't know. Just an idea. I have the 'automatic body' often, and don't do anything in particular with it. I just watch and -if suitable- apply the same attitude to the mind. Which means the control I sometimes feel I have, largely disappears again.

After a while the 'automatic body' becomes quite natural and you can sort of jump into the state. No need to note it in my opinion, because noting is then an action which is like a sort of illusionary control, if you catch my drift.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Reflection,
reflection wrote: After a while the 'automatic body' becomes quite natural and you can sort of jump into the state. No need to note it in my opinion, because noting is then an action which is like a sort of illusionary control, if you catch my drift.
I think that if you're finding noting to be an "illusionary control" you're not using it in the way I was instructed, which is as an aid to focussing on the particular phenomena that are arising, without proliferating about it. As I understand it, if one finds oneself drifting in a automatic sort of practice, either sitting or walking then maintaining sharp focus on what is going on is crucial, otherwise it's very easy to lapse into a rather pleasant, but unfocussed state. The sort of state I've sometimes wasted a lot of time in...

In any case, if one is working with a teacher one trusts, I would definite go with what he suggests, and see how it works itself out.

:anjali:
Mike
reflection

Post by reflection »

Yeah, probably we were instructed -or are experiencing- differently. What I find, if I note it often sort of feels like an action I decided to do. In my experience destroying some of the focus I obtained when things went automatic without thoughts. That's why I emphasized it was in my opinion. Should also have said my experience. But let's not go into a debate about noting here. I suggested what I do so purple planet may give it a try if he wants. But of course, first go with what the teacher says. Doesn't mean we can't experiment a bit. :namaste:

With metta,
Reflection
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I always will go with what the teacher says - its just i dont like to ask a milion times on the same subject on the phone - its hard to be clear on personal experiences - so its just a way to understand better what the teacher means if i got him right and also how to ask him next time i talk to him

i never had a doubt i should label this - to label as normal - lifting ...raising ... pushing .... ect its just that as i understand in my teachers way of meditating : we should label the walking steps and if something is bothering in this action we stop and stand and label three times - and then continue and there can be stuff which we are aware of all the time but only if it gets into are main awareness (which means bother us concentrate and label the main object) than we switch to the secondary object - and unlike sound smell pain ect - this "automatic" thing dosnt bother my main action and is actually "part" of the action so thats the confusing part