Searching this quote

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kamran

Searching this quote

Post by Kamran »

Ajahn Sona quotes the Buddha below. Does anybody where this comes from ? Thanks.

When the Buddha went into retreat, he said to his attendant, Ananda, “People may ask what I am doing in my three-month retreat. You may tell them, Ananda, that I am watching my breath.”

http://northwestdharma.org/nw-dharma-news-wp/?p=1481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Re: Searching this quote

Post by daverupa »

Perhaps SN 54.11?

I can't seem to locate a better version online at the moment, and in this copy there is no Ananda...
Thus have I heard. At one time the Blessed One was living at Icchánangala in the Forest Grove of Icchánangala.

Then the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus thus, “I wish, bhikkhus, to go into retreat for three months. Let no one approach me except whoever brings almsfood.”
“Even so, venerable sir,” the bhikkhus replied to the Blessed One. And accordingly no one approached the Blessed One except whoever brought almsfood.

Then the Blessed One, on rising from his retreat at the end of the three months, addressed the bhikkhus:

“If, bhikkhus, the wandering ascetics of other sects ask you thus: ‘In what way of life, friend, does the recluse Gotama mainly dwell during the residence of the rains?’, you, bhikkhus, being questioned thus, should reply to those wandering ascetics of other sects thus: ‘In respiration-mindfulness concentration, friends, does the recluse Gotama mainly dwell during the residence of the rains

(Here follow the four tetrads, but in the first person.)

“Were it, bhikkhus, rightly speaking to be said of anything, ‘This is the life of the noble ones, this is the life of purity, this is the life of the Tathágata,’ it is of respiration-mindfulness concentration, indeed, that rightly speaking it should be said, ‘This is that (kind of) life.’

“Those bhikkhus who as trainees dwell with their ideal as yet unattained, aspiring to the supreme surcease of bondage, for them respiration-mindfulness concentration, developed and repeatedly practised, leads to the destruction of the cankers. And those bhikkhus who are arahats, in whom the cankers are destroyed, who have lived the life, done what is to be done, laid down the burden, reached the highest good, destroyed the fetters of becoming, who knowing rightly are delivered, for them respiration-mindfulness concentration, developed and repeatedly practised, leads to a happy life here and now and to mindfulness and clear comprehension.

“Were it, bhikkhus, rightly speaking to be said of anything, ‘This is the life of the noble ones, this is the life of purity, this is the life of the Tathágata’; it is of respiration-mindfulness concentration, indeed, that rightly speaking it should be said, ‘This is that (kind of) life.’ “
source
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kamran

Re: Searching this quote

Post by Kamran »