Enlightenment in Bodhi Linux

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
gavesako

Enlightenment in Bodhi Linux

Post by gavesako »

Does anyone have experience (not necessarily enlightenment level) with this OS?

Welcome to Bodhi Linux
Minimalism and User Choice

Thank you for taking the time to check out Bodhi Linux, the Enlightened Linux Distribution. Here you will find all you need to know about Bodhi as well as links to additional resources, like our AppCenter for your software needs, the Art Wiki for all your styling needs and our Documentation to help you out. We also have a very active and friendly community, check it out for yourself on our Forum and in our IRC channel.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:candle:

A New Day Dawns In Linux With The Near Arrival Of E17 (stable)
First created by Carsten Haitzler in 1997, Enlightenment is one of the oldest open-source desktop projects in existence, but it’s also by far one of the most exceptional ever created that actually outperforms even the most recent developments by its competition with ease.
Like other Linux desktop managers, such as GNOME, KDE, XCFE, Unity, LXDE and others, E17 has a compositing window manager and your general desktop elements (i.e. a panel, notification area, etc.), but E17 is designed with a few particular things in mind that it accomplishes very well. It’s extremely lightweight on system resources, it’s very graphically appealing, and it’s so customizable that, by the time you’re through tweaking it, you practically have your own Linux distribution.
When Carsten Haitzler was asked who the typical E17 user would be, his response was, “someone who is keen to explore something new and different. Someone who wants control and power.” He went on to say that, “We try and ensure there is some way to change everything via the GUI, so you don’t have to resort to text configuration files. This reduces the barrier of entry for the more advanced users, and thus makes doing “advanced things” seem friendly. In fact, we have exposed almost every single configuration value E17 has via the GUI in one way or another.”
Bodhi Linux is a premier Enlightenment distribution gaining much attention and a swelling following in the Linux community these days, and it’s a prime example of just how efficient Enlightenment truly is. The minimum requirements to run Bodhi Linux are only: 300+MHz CPU, 128MB RAM and 2.5GB hard drive space.
http://www.dailyflux.com/day-dawns-linu ... 17-stable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some cool screenshots of various desktops:
http://www.bodhilinux.com/about_dotw.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:coffee:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
nibbuti

Re: Enlightenment in Bodhi Linux

Post by nibbuti »

gavesako wrote:Does anyone have experience (not necessarily enlightenment level) with this OS?
This is actually another Linux-based software distribution (like RedHat and Ubuntu) rather than a separate operating system (OS). Most of them are quite short-lived. E17 (the graphical user interface) was fancy and unstable most of the time. I'd rather go to the source. :meditate:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

About 10 or so years ago Enlightenment 16 was my favorite linux window manager, but development seemed eventually to stall and since then i have been using fluxbox and rox as my linux GUI. I have tried the E17 betas and didnt much care for it. When a stable version is released i may try it again but i dont really like the whole desktop environment paradigm. Id rather put my own together from bits and pieces.
If you are curious about linux and want something user friendly, i would start with vector linux. Vector is based on slackware and has gui admin tools and installs easily. They also have a great support forum at http://forum.vectorlinux.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Hundovir

Post by Hundovir »

I have been using Linux for about two and a half years and Bodhi is one of the distributions I have used. It has come on in leaps and bounds and has a very enthusiastic and helpful user-base. By default it installs quite a minimal system which you then add to to get the set-up you want. This is different from the approach of, say, Ubuntu or Mint, which provide a much more fully-featured experience immediately.

It's not difficult to arrange things how you want with Bodhi - but it might not be entirely obvious how you do things if you're a complete beginner with Linux. On the other hand, there is very good documentation and, as with all things computer-ish, if you approach things in a logical manner and read (and re-read) documentation, you shouldn't have problems. If you already have some experience with Linux it should be very straightforward. It is quite a "lightweight" distro and installed and ran without problems on my ageing Dell Latitude laptop (1.4 Celeron processor, 512 meg RAM, 40 Gig hard drive.)

The Bodhi implementation of the e17 desktop is done very nicely and its visual appearance can be quite stunning.

I have mainly used Arch Linux, but have recently moved to Slackware. (I like messing around with my OS!)
ricebowl

Bodhi Linux

Post by ricebowl »

Did a forum search and barely found this mentioned, http://www.bodhilinux.com is a somewhat Buddhish linux community that offers and provides a computer operating system and a non-obligatory license, been using the OS on and off in juggling cost issues of proprietary commercial computer operaing systems
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Is there an actual Buddhist angle in this disto, apart from the name?

We've been using Redhat and various derivatives at work here since the mid 90s. Currently Scientific Linux on servers, Fedora on laptops.

:anjali:
Mike