Jogging

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
lojong1

Re: Jogging

Post by lojong1 »

You could spice up the run and develop neglected muscles with some light parkour basics.
GraemeR

Jogging

Post by GraemeR »

Mal wrote:Does the Buddha recommend jogging? Why not walk? I jogged/ran for twenty years and stopped when my knees became quite painful most days. One colleague who didn't stop had a knee replacement, another a hip replacement. So I have great doubts about it being a wonderful exercise! These days my exercise is walking to the shops and back, which (just) gives me the minimum needed to keep fit, according to UK NHS guidelines. If you *must* jog, I'd start very slowly, barely above walking pace for 10 minutes three times a week, and build up to Santa's minimum - 30min three times a week, over three months. If knees or hips hurt, don't run through it: as an alternative walk, or if even that hurts cycle or swim. In meditation novices are often told to ignore pain from adopting the half lotus, DO NOT APPLY THAT ADVICE TO JOGGING. The pain from stretching in the half lotus is not the same as the impact pain from jogging, where you are actually wearing down the joint.
Here here :clap:

Running on roads gives repetitious impacts to knees, ankles hips etc, personally having suffered damage at 51 I would not recommend it. :toilet:

Graham
Murkve

Post by Murkve »

The correct and least impactful way to run is by striking the ground with the ball of the foot, rather than the heel. This minimizes impact on the knee, and instead transfers that force to the calf muscle, which acts much like a spring.

However, it takes a while to switch over to this style of running. Barefoot or lightly shod and no more than 5 minutes a session in the beginning, and gradually increase the time. Your calves and other stabilizer muscles need time to recover from years of atrophy.
[i]"Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal."[/i] - Arthur Schopenhauer
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Woohoo! First ever fun run (10km) complete...

I think I did it in just under an hour, although I haven't seen the times yet.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Great job! well done :smile:
I guess half marathon will be next?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Alobha wrote:I guess half marathon will be next?
I'm gradually getting talked into one in October... we'll see!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Jogging: A road to good health
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/jogg ... 2g5ud.html

Metta,