zipper meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
alan...

zipper meditation?

Post by alan... »

first i want to say leigh brasington is fantastic, his web site is incredibly useful.

anyway, something on there is puzzling me:

from leighb.com, i tried to recreate the table, if it doesn't make sense to you then look at the site:

Pañña (Wisdom or Insight) Practices
There are 2 types of Insight Practices: Meditations and Contemplations. Meditations do not involve "thinking"; Contemplations do involve non-distracted thinking. Both methods are mentioned in the Suttas (Discourses of the Buddha). The following tables give both types according to their sources:
________________________________________________________________________________
Anapanasati (Mindfulness of Breathing) | |
may be used for both Concentration & Insight | The Zipper |
_______________________________________________________________________________|

i searched the web and can't find anything on it. in order in the satipatthana sutta though it could be referring to foulness of the body since you look at your body bit by bit like you unzipped it and are looking within?
Kim OHara

Re: zipper meditation?

Post by Kim OHara »

You will have to ask him. The word 'zipper' doesn't occur anywhere else on his site, according to a site-specific search.

:thinking:

KIm
alan...

Post by alan... »

Kim O'Hara wrote:You will have to ask him. The word 'zipper' doesn't occur anywhere else on his site, according to a site-specific search.

:thinking:

KIm
i noticed the same thing. oh well. i don't want to bother the guy with such a trivial question, mostly i'm just curious.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Since the zipper's function is to combine the 2 pieces of clothing, maybe it was used as the analogy of Anapanasati as combining both Concentration and Insight.. :thinking: