Unpleaseant Breath...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Beautiful Breath

Unpleaseant Breath...

Post by Beautiful Breath »

I am actually beginning to feel that the sensation of the breath entering/leaving is unpleaseant. Its really cold here in the UK right now and the very cold breath entering particularly is putting me off....anyone else had this?

BB...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Unpleaseant Breath...

Post by Sam Vara »

Beautiful Breath wrote:I am actually beginning to feel that the sensation of the breath entering/leaving is unpleaseant. Its really cold here in the UK right now and the very cold breath entering particularly is putting me off....anyone else had this?

BB...
Yes, sometimes. Or it can feel rough, or even as though the body is labouring to pull down the diaphragm and open the ribcage. I found that it passed quite soon. I tried not to have any expectations about how it should feel, and it changed. Feelings associated with the breath, like all feelings, are impermanent.
monkey_brain

Post by monkey_brain »

Beautiful Breath wrote:I am actually beginning to feel that the sensation of the breath entering/leaving is unpleaseant. Its really cold here in the UK right now and the very cold breath entering particularly is putting me off....anyone else had this?

BB...
Mine is sometimes unpleasant in a different way. Sometimes, at the very end of the exhale, just a split second before the next inhale, there is the--not painful exactly--definitely unpleasant feeling of being out of air and needing air. It is situated at the bottom of the sternum for me, tending off to the right, at the bottom of the right lung. It's not quite pain, but almost like pain.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

If it is just cold, that's an asava to be endured. Kayagatasati is prescribed for this:
MN 119 wrote:"He is resistant to cold, heat, hunger, thirst, the touch of gadflies & mosquitoes, wind & sun & creeping things; to abusive, hurtful language; he is the sort that can endure bodily feelings that, when they arise, are painful, sharp, stabbing, fierce, distasteful, disagreeable, deadly.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Beautiful Breath

daverupa wrote:If it is just cold, that's an asava to be endured. Kayagatasati is prescribed for this:
MN 119 wrote:"He is resistant to cold, heat, hunger, thirst, the touch of gadflies & mosquitoes, wind & sun & creeping things; to abusive, hurtful language; he is the sort that can endure bodily feelings that, when they arise, are painful, sharp, stabbing, fierce, distasteful, disagreeable, deadly.
...no pressure then... :-D
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Consider it to be infusing the seven factors of awakening with upekkha.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

daverupa wrote:If it is just cold, that's an asava to be endured. Kayagatasati is prescribed for this:
Ugh, the cold. There are things that I can deal with like this, but the cold is not one of them. In the middle of winter, it's all I can do to keep my constant mantra of "**** you nature" from blurting out. Gotama never had to deal with this, unless he went further up into Nepal than I am aware of.
Beautiful Breath

Kenshou wrote:
Ugh, the cold. There are things that I can deal with like this, but the cold is not one of them. In the middle of winter, it's all I can do to keep my constant mantra of "**** you nature" from blurting out. Gotama never had to deal with this, unless he went further up into Nepal than I am aware of.
:rofl: