Does the theory of evolution confirm Buddha’s teaching?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Benjamin

Re: Does the theory of evolution confirm Buddha’s teaching?

Post by Benjamin »

Children from the same parents aren't identical because they haven't led identical lives.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Benjamin wrote:Children from the same parents aren't identical because they haven't led identical lives.
...and because their genes are not identical, since each child gets a random mixture of mother's and father's genes.
...and, if you believe in kamma from past lives, because of kamma from past lives.
:juggling:
Kim
ground

Post by ground »

SarathW wrote:I am doing my meditation this morning and the thought came to my mind, that I am just another human being evolved over time, as suggested by the Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.
Then anther thought came that the Theory of Evolution does not explain why I am so different to other humans.
I have lot of brothers and sisters from the same parents, none of them are same except some physical features.
I think that the Theory of Evolution failed address this issue. :shrug:
Affirmation of mere sense of self that arises and subsides depending on conditions is the cause the felt difference " I am so different to other humans".
"Theory of Evolution" is based on dependence/relativity, buddha's teaching is based on dependence/relativity. buddha's teaching may be consdidered to be theory too. What does make a difference?
In case of considering the the buddha's teaching to be non-theory there is no theory whatsoever that might confirm the buddha's teaching and there is no theory whatsoever that might invalidate the buddha's teaching. :sage:
past is dead

Post by past is dead »

Hi SarathW

Here are my two cents. Evolution is a process of change in all forms of life including humans, over successive generations i.e change of the inherited characteristics by means of mutation, genetic drift, natural selection.

On the other side Buddha's teaching is diagnose about the human condition and offers are a cure to overcome that condition.

So according the above Buddhism and Evolution are two different areas. You can be follower of Buddhism and also interested in the theory of evolution at the same time, they don't contradict each other. No matter how much humans are different in terms of their genetic code they all suffer through their lives and can apply Buddha's teaching in order to overcome that suffering.