Fur flies over call to rid New Zealand of cats

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Re: Fur flies over call to rid New Zealand of cats

Post by yawares »

Dear Tiltbillings,

I never let my cats out...Mixy(my cat in Bangkok) ran out when I opened the door(coming back from school).

Pickle(my green/yellow cat in Columbus,Ohio) ran away while we were moving to Texas A&m, after driving for a long time, we stopped at a rest area to rest/walk around...Pickle just ran away...we waited for him to come back for an hour...but no... he was gone for good...I cried because I loved him since the day he was born..his mother,a stray cat, pregnanted and gave birth to 5 supercute kittens at my front porch on the rug..I moved them inside my house...my Thai/American friends adopted 4 kittens...my daughter kept 1 and named him 'Pickle'...

They ran out many times but always came back...when they were older they were gone..no coming back.

Yawares :jumping:
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

yawares wrote:Dear Graham,

You should apply insecticides in and around your home .

Nothing run in my house/in my closets,
yawares
Dear Yawares,

Nooooo we don't want to kill them! I collect cockroaches when we find them and carry them out in a bag :tongue: One day I found 12 in the old house. Our new house is cleaner, we don't find many. Also insecticides would kill the lizards, I love those. Now it's raining again (in the dry season!) we have frogs in the kitchen once more. :smile:

We only treat for termites about once a month and try not to kill the other wildlife :heart:

I saved a frog from the cat today and lizards sometimes too :woohoo:

With metta :anjali:

Graham
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thank you Graham.

The very first Precept reads:
1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.
Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
This includes all life, not just human life.

Here is a sample of the hundreds of sites which explain how to catch and release, or just repel, what humans regards as pests - without breaking the First Precept.

Category:Insect repellents
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Insect repellents (or uncommonly insectifuges) repel insects but do not kill them. Therefore, they are not technically insecticides nor technically pesticides. This category contains articles on insect repellents that are not insecticides, meaning that their main purpose/function is not to kill but to repel. Articles here may relate to chemical, physical or biological barriers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Insect_repellents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compassionate garden pest control - no kill gardening
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002903284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Non-lethal methods of rat control
http://www.ehow.com/way_5542345_nonleth ... ntrol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember lots of field mice coming into my house. I bought a Mouse House, a non-harming trap, and mice food and caught four or five. I kept them in the Mouse House for a few weeks, and then released them next to a creek in the bush after digging a safe nest for them.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

cooran wrote:Thank you Graham.

The very first Precept reads:
1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.
Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
This includes all life, not just human life.
<snip>
with metta
Chris
Chris

I agree, I try to avoid killing anything, I even try and catch mosquitoes and throw them out. :soap:

With metta,

Graham
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

Please let me show you all these rare cats:

Sand cat

Norwegian forest cat

Chimera cat

Toy cat

Seriously...who can get rid of something this cute??? :heart: