Self-cherishing

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ground

Re: Self-cherishing

Post by ground »

Folia wrote:
ground wrote:it should become a sense of inevitable dissolution of all that makes itself felt as "self" ... a sense of inevitable progressing dissolution/disintegration from the depth of the heart.
This still sounds like an idea, ...
All that is expressed by means of words may "sound like an idea" in the sphere of what is called "reader". Why? Because upon the eye meeting forms aka words in which no meaning inheres ideas arise in the sphere of what is called "reader". So "it sounds like an idea" because in the sphere of what is called "reader" it is an idea.
Folia wrote: of inevitable dissolution/disintegration in the future. Can this dissolution/disintegration occur now, so self-cherishing has dissolution/disintegration now?
It does occur now, in every moment and every moment, every now can be the onset of dying. This realization and the continuing awareness of it may be called "mindfulness of death". But not everbody may have the capacity to deal with this. Either since the bridge between intellect and realization cannot be crossed or since there is a strong inclination to depression or fear. In these cases for the time being "mindfulness of death" may not be appropriate to counter self-cherishing. :sage:
fearandloving

Post by fearandloving »

This is a wonderful topic!
The "self" cannot being fully controlled, so therefore it is not "yours".

What is being cherished is the idea of a self at its best. We cherish the idea of what we wish we always could be. We do not cherish the idea of a self at its worst. Self "at its worst" is often not considered self at all. However we cannot always choose which one to be. For something so uncertain and unpredictable, how cannot it be declared as "mine"? This is something good to focus on - You have this idea that you cherish, yet how often does that idea actually come to reality? And if and when it does, why does it not stay forever? According to the Buddha - because it is not under your control and it is not yours.

Cherish the good that you are capable of, just try not to cherish the idea of "you" that is doing it.
I believe that if this advice is reflected often enough than self-cherishing will fade away. Self-cherising, just like clinging to the self in any other fashion, goes away completely when the notion that the self even exists is truly realized to be false.

When you notice that you are cherishing yourself, in what ways are you doing that? Maybe it's something really specific, like your cherish yourself mostly physically and are involved in a very healthy lifestyle or beautification. Maybe you cherish your altruistic actions and when you are doing good for others that is when you are cherishing yourself. I think it's possible that if you can catch that in the act and probe into it you will have much better control over it. And doing the same thing when you make a 'mistake' and think "oh that wasn't me, I lost myself for a minute there when I yelled/lied/etc." probing into that same belief, seeing all the aggregates clearly. Than not only does it become more clear that the whole combination of things is not you at all, but it becomes much less attractive!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Folia wrote:
SarathW wrote:If you are not a Buddhist please follow your religion.
Thank you SarathW

The book said Buddhism does not claim the monopoly of truth. I do not agree with this statement. If all religions taught the truth would they not all be the same?

:heart:
Buddha taught us various level of happiness. It varies from happiness with material possession to a happiness without material possession (Nirvana the ultimate happiness)
Other religions even some philosophers teaches us how to be happy with in various ways. Only Buddha taught us the ultimate happiness (Niravana)
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”