sutta where buddha says he is sad about war?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
alan...

sutta where buddha says he is sad about war?

Post by alan... »

long ago i saw some thing where someone was claiming arahants experience karma because the buddha said he was sad to see his country at war and that this negative emotion was karma.

anyone know if this has any validity in relation to the pali canon or even the commentaries? or even further out, a mahayana sutra? i can't find it anywhere.
cooran

Re: sutta where buddha says he is sad about war?

Post by cooran »

Hello alan,

I think the Buddha would have been expressing karuna (compassion) for those involved in war - for the immediate physical pain, and the accumulated negative kamma.

Maybe one of these suttas:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html#war" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
alan...

Post by alan... »

cooran wrote:Hello alan,

I think the Buddha would have been expressing karuna (compassion) for those involved in war - for the immediate physical pain, and the accumulated negative kamma.

Maybe one of these suttas:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html#war" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
which sutta in particular? there are over 30 in that section you linked.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello alan,

There are only six suttas mentioned in the link I gave - not sure if any fit exactly.

I can't find the actual sutta you are refering to - but this one shows that arahants still experience kamma from previous actions:

From the Suttas:
MN 86 Angulimala Sutta: About Angulimala

Then Ven. Angulimala, dwelling alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, & resolute, in no long time reached & remained in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now. He knew: "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world." And thus Ven. Angulimala became another one of the arahants.

Then Ven. Angulimala, early in the morning, having put on his robes and carrying his outer robe & bowl, went into Savatthi for alms. Now at that time a clod thrown by one person hit Ven. Angulimala on the body, a stone thrown by another person hit him on the body, and a potsherd thrown by still another person hit him on the body. So Ven. Angulimala — his head broken open and dripping with blood, his bowl broken, and his outer robe ripped to shreds — went to the Blessed One. The Blessed One saw him coming from afar and on seeing him said to him: "Bear with it, brahman! Bear with it! The fruit of the kamma that would have burned you in hell for many years, many hundreds of years, many thousands of years, you are now experiencing in the here-&-now!" [3]
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
alan...

Post by alan... »

cooran wrote:Hello alan,

There are only six suttas mentioned in the link I gave - not sure if any fit exactly.

I can't find the actual sutta you are refering to - but this one shows that arahants still experience kamma from previous actions:

From the Suttas:
MN 86 Angulimala Sutta: About Angulimala

Then Ven. Angulimala, dwelling alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, & resolute, in no long time reached & remained in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now. He knew: "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world." And thus Ven. Angulimala became another one of the arahants.

Then Ven. Angulimala, early in the morning, having put on his robes and carrying his outer robe & bowl, went into Savatthi for alms. Now at that time a clod thrown by one person hit Ven. Angulimala on the body, a stone thrown by another person hit him on the body, and a potsherd thrown by still another person hit him on the body. So Ven. Angulimala — his head broken open and dripping with blood, his bowl broken, and his outer robe ripped to shreds — went to the Blessed One. The Blessed One saw him coming from afar and on seeing him said to him: "Bear with it, brahman! Bear with it! The fruit of the kamma that would have burned you in hell for many years, many hundreds of years, many thousands of years, you are now experiencing in the here-&-now!" [3]
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
oh, lol i see now. the war section. i thought it was to be the whole page that the link goes to!