Those "great debate" threads

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Those "great debate" threads

Postby Sekha » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 am

They are extremely long and it is very difficult to keep track of the various sub-topics that eventually get incorporated in those threads and become buried under dozen of other pages.

Wouldn't it be appropriate to create dedicated sub-forums and avoid merging all the threads?
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org
Sekha

Re: Those "great debate" threads

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 pm

The arguments repeat themselves. It's not necessary to read the entire rebirth debate to know the arguments. It's useful to group them in one central thread since it's a frequent question that, if not dealt as the way it's been dealt with, these particular questions would be a plague on the forum.

The creation of subforums should be avoided unless there is demand. And a subforum should be a category of discussions not a one topic discussion.

My 2 cents
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:The arguments repeat themselves. It's not necessary to read the entire rebirth debate to know the arguments. It's useful to group them in one central thread since it's a frequent question that, if not dealt as the way it's been dealt with, these particular questions would be a plague on the forum.

The creation of subforums should be avoided unless there is demand. And a subforum should be a category of discussions not a one topic discussion.

My 2 cents

:goodpost:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Mawkish1983 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:The arguments repeat themselves. It's not necessary to read the entire rebirth debate to know the arguments. It's useful to group them in one central thread since it's a frequent question that, if not dealt as the way it's been dealt with, these particular questions would be a plague on the forum.

My 2 cents

Agreed
Mawkish1983

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

The endless debate is a problem - not just in Buddhist forums, either:
(xkcd, http://xkcd.com/1166/)
The "great debate" threads are one way of dealing with it and do have the advantage that they let the rest of us get on with our lives.

:juggling:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby SDC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm

My 2 cents

This.
SDC

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Greetings,

Yep - MP's pretty much got it.

:goodpost:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion box