depending origination birth and death

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Gena1480

depending origination birth and death

Post by Gena1480 »

after looking at the sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
birth is a condition for death
do i understand this correctly
one must first born in some existence
then this condition being born in next life
give a condition of dying in this life.
can this be understood this way.
metta
Bakmoon

Re: depending origination birth and death

Post by Bakmoon »

Gena1480 wrote:after looking at the sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
metta
Close. It means that the only reason why you are able to die is that you were born. If you were never born, then you can't die.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

metta
Yes, the relevant section of SN 12.2 is below. Basically there is the process of becoming, which leads to a cycle of birth and therefore to a cycle of death.

"Now what is aging and death? Whatever aging, decrepitude, brokenness, graying, wrinkling, decline of life-force, weakening of the faculties of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called aging. Whatever deceasing, passing away, breaking up, disappearance, dying, death, completion of time, break up of the aggregates, casting off of the body, interruption in the life faculty of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called death.
"And what is birth? Whatever birth, taking birth, descent, coming-to-be, coming-forth, appearance of aggregates, & acquisition of [sense] media of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called birth.
"And what is becoming? These three are becomings: sensual becoming, form becoming, & formless becoming. This is called becoming.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SDC

Post by SDC »

metta
If you are interested in the “non-traditional” interpretation of the PS…

Bhava (being), which is the idea that “I am”, leads to an analysis of the past of “I” which is seen to have started at birth (jāti) and then an analysis of the future of “I” which is seen to end in death (jarā-maraṇa).

So it is due to this idea that “I am” that prompts an investigation of the boundaries of “I’s” existence. In other words, there is birth and death only because there is this idea that “I” is existing. If the idea that “I am” is eliminated from the experience, than there is no birth and no death.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3