The causes for wisdom

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: The causes for wisdom

Post by tiltbillings »

So, Robert, I'll ask you again, what does what you are advocating look like as an actual daily practice?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

tiltbillings wrote:So, Robert, I'll ask you again, what does what you are advocating look like as an actual daily practice?
I think it is pretty obvious that it is not a daily practice.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Virgo,

Perhaps it just challenges contemporary notions of what "an actual daily practice" is?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:So, Robert, I'll ask you again, what does what you are advocating look like as an actual daily practice?
I think it is pretty obvious that it is not a daily practice.
If you say so, but I'll wait to see what robertk has to say. Somehow or other what robertk is saying has to be put into some sort pf practice and it would help greatly to clarify what he is saying by making the nature of that sort of practice clear.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
robertk

Post by robertk »

Here is a summary of yesterday's practice.
Wake up, check email, brush teeth. Go to coffee shop, read local newscpaper while indulging in brewed coffee. Go to gym, 30 minutes on stepmill then a 1km swim. Go to office, have first meeting of day. Forget about second schefuled meeting, arrive 15 minutes late for that.
Discuss baby issue with wife on phone.
Finish work early, go to shopping center. Buy a shirt at La Martina. Sales girl asks where I am from and whether she can come to new zealand with me. Feel 10 years under my age after that comment.
Have a coffe and tuna bun at Belly sandwich shop, outstanding service and taste. And so it goes...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote:
Here is a summary of yesterday's practice.
Wake up, check email, brush teeth. Go to coffee shop, read local newscpaper while indulging in brewed coffee. Go to gym, 30 minutes on stepmill then a 1km swim. Go to office, have first meeting of day. Forget about second schefuled meeting, arrive 15 minutes late for that.
Discuss baby issue with wife on phone.
Finish work early, go to shopping center. Buy a shirt at La Martina. Sales girl asks where I am from and whether she can come to new zealand with me. Feel 10 years under my age after that comment.
Have a coffe and tuna bun at Belly sandwich shop, outstanding service and taste. And so it goes...
Cute, though not very clever and it is totally evasive. That rather neatly spells it out in terms of what you are talking about. Thanks.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

robertk wrote: baby...
Congratulations.
robertk wrote:Sales girl asks where I am from and whether she can come to new zealand with me. Feel 10 years under my age after that comment.
C'mon Rob, you always got all the ladies. It's 1/3 the accent, 1/3 perpetually youthful look, and 1/3 $100 jeans :tongue:

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

tiltbillings wrote:Cute, though not very clever and it is totally evasive.
I didn't see any evasiveness at all. In my opinion those are signs of a good sukkha-vipassaka practitioner.

Kevin
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Cute, though not very clever and it is totally evasive.
I didn't see any evasiveness at all. In my opinion those are signs of a good sukkha-vipassaka practitioner.
Again, with evasiveness.
Of, course, the question is what does what you (and robertk) have said actually mean in terms of an actual ongoing practice? Are you going to answer that question or is robertk?

danieLion

Post by danieLion »

RobertK,
This is a wonderful thread. Thank you.
robertk

Post by robertk »

danieLion wrote:RobertK,
This is a wonderful thread. Thank you.
Thanks, not sure everyone agrees. :soap:

More about 'daily practice'

In the Samyutta nikaya V (Sayings on stream entry p347 The great chapter Dhammadina ) 5oo rich merchants came to see the Buddha . They explained they were given over to the joys of wives and family and captivated by the five strands of sense pleasures. They asked how they should live their lives. The Buddha suggested that they train themselves thus:

"as to those discourses uttered by the Tathagatha, deep, deep in meaning, transcendental and concerned with the void (about anatta) from time to time we will spend our days learning them. That is how you must spend your days."
That would be pretty much be what I do from time to time....

Hope that is not being evasive?
robertk

Post by robertk »

Virgo wrote:
robertk wrote: baby...
Congratulations.
robertk wrote:Sales girl asks where I am from and whether she can come to new zealand with me. Feel 10 years under my age after that comment.
C'mon Rob, you always got all the ladies. It's 1/3 the accent, 1/3 perpetually youthful look, and 1/3 $100 jeans :tongue:

Kevin
Haha you know me too well. I :toast:
Good to see you posting again .
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote:
"as to those discourses uttered by the Tathagatha, deep, deep in meaning, transcendental and concerned with the void (about anatta) from time to time we will spend our days learning them. That is how you must spend your days."
That would be pretty much be what I do from time to time....

Hope that is not being evasive?
It is not being transparent. And then when you have learned the discourses, then what?

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:It is not being transparent. And then when you have learned the discourses, then what?
Bring them to mind regularly and observe experience accordingly, perhaps?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:It is not being transparent. And then when you have learned the discourses, then what?
Bring them to mind regularly and observe experience accordingly, perhaps?
Perhaps, but what do you mean by "observe experience accordingly?" How do we know that won't be: "But what is thought to be mindfulness in common parlance is often some type of tedious focussing on an approximation of the here and now?"