Sigalovada Sutta Questions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Tom

Sigalovada Sutta Questions

Post by Tom »

"These four, young householder, should be understood as foes in the guise of friends:

(1) he who appropriates a friend's possessions,
(2) he who renders lip-service,
(3) he who flatters,
(4) he who brings ruin.
(1) "In four ways, young householder, should one who appropriates be understood as a foe in the guise of a friend:

(i) he appropriates his friend's wealth,
(ii) he gives little and asks much,
(iii) he does his duty out of fear,
(iv) he associates for his own advantage.
(2) "In four ways, young householder, should one who renders lip-service be understood as a foe in the guise of a friend:

(i) he makes friendly profession as regards the past,
(ii) he makes friendly profession as regards the future,
(iii) he tries to gain one's favor by empty words,
(iv) when opportunity for service has arisen, he expresses his inability.
(3) "In four ways, young householder, should one who flatters be understood as a foe in the guise of a friend:

(i) he approves of his friend's evil deeds,
(ii) he disapproves his friend's good deeds,
(iii) he praises him in his presence,
(iv) he speaks ill of him in his absence.
(4) "In four ways, young householder, should one who brings ruin be understood as a foe in the guise of a friend:

(i) he is a companion in indulging in intoxicants that cause
infatuation and heedlessness,
(ii) he is a companion in sauntering in streets at unseemly hours,
(iii) he is a companion in frequenting theatrical shows,
(iv) he is a companion in indulging in gambling which causes heedlessness."

Thus spoke the Exalted One. And when the Master had thus spoken, he spoke yet again:

The friend who appropriates,
the friend who renders lip-service,
the friend that flatters,
the friend who brings ruin,
these four as enemies the wise behold,
avoid them from afar as paths of peril.
DN 31 http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to this sutta, would a companion who "frequents theatrical shows" with you, but isn't "a companion in indulging in intoxicants that cause infatuation and heedlessness... in sauntering in streets at unseemly hours" and "in indulging in gambling which causes heedlessness" be referred to as "one who brings ruin", or must he fulfil being "a companion in indulging in intoxicants that cause infatuation and heedlessness... in sauntering in streets at unseemly hours" and "in indulging in gambling which causes heedlessness" as well, in order to be referred to as "one who brings ruin"?
santa100

Re: Sigalovada Sutta Questions

Post by santa100 »

Notice the 4 ways that one brings ruin are the same 4 out the 6 channels for dissipating wealth a few paragraphs above:
"What are the six channels for dissipating wealth which he does not pursue?
(a) "indulgence in intoxicants which cause infatuation and heedlessness;
(b) sauntering in streets at unseemly hours;
(c) frequenting theatrical shows;
(d) indulgence in gambling which causes heedlessness;
(e) association with evil companions;
(f) the habit of idleness
So imagine 1 punctured hole is enough to drain the water out of a water tank. Any companion who gets you into 1 of those 4 unwholesome ways is enough to qualify as "one who brings ruin". Of course if the water tank was punctured with all 4 holes, the water'd be emptied much much faster..
Tom

Re: Sigalovada Sutta Questions

Post by Tom »

santa100 wrote: So imagine 1 punctured hole is enough to drain the water out of a water tank. Any companion who gets you into 1 of those 4 unwholesome ways is enough to qualify as "one who brings ruin". Of course if the water tank was punctured with all 4 holes, the water'd be emptied much much faster..
I'm not sure this analogy would apply here necessarily. Can anyone shed some light on this sutta with evidence to support their answer to my question?